Chapter 1 - Rain

As I was walking up the path, I heard a familiar 'yelp' come from the other side of the door. I rolled my eyes and chuckled a little, wondering what they had got up to now. I put my finger up to the doorbell, but a note was taped to it saying that it was broken, so I settled for a knock instead. Typically, it was drowned out by the clashing of cymbals, and I winced slightly from the noise. That meant the drum kit had suffered. I sighed. 

I knocked again but still no one came to the door and I grew impatient as it started to drizzle. Rain in July, that really sets the mood. Looks like England would be having another miserable wet summer.  I knew they were in as I started to hear some muffled talking and a few more 'thump' noises. 

When the rain started lashing down I opened the letterbox and shouted 'Let me in, I'm getting soaked!'

Finally, a sheepish looking Bradley opened the door and pulled me inside, saving me from the cold rain. I stood dripping on the door mat, frowning and shivering. Bradley’s family were replacing their porch as the roof had crumbled and starting leaking over the years – it was a very old house – so at the minute there was no porch for me to stand under. 

'What took you so long?' I scolded. 

'I'm good, thanks for asking.' He replied cheekily, avoiding my question. 

Whilst I was stood here in dripping wet clothes, I wasn’t in the mood for his jokes – which usually made me laugh. I was in a good mood until the rain fell - it wasn't even forecast! Weathermen barely get anything right! 

'Brad, please, I'm soaked because you didn't open your door, can I please dry off? Could I borrow some of your clothes? I'm drenched.'

'Yeah sure. Sorry.' Brad apologised, looking genuinely bad that he left me outside for so long. I felt a little guilty myself for making him feel that way. I think I may have overreacted, and I definitely was too harsh. I only got wet, it's not a big deal. I didn't even say hello, and I completely ignored the others. They do know what I can be like when I'm on a really bad mood, so hopefully they won't be too offended, and I can go downstairs in a better mood. 

Brad handed me a towel out of his airing cupboard to dry myself off with, and pulled out a t-shirt and sweats of his, for me to put on whilst my now wet clothes were drying. 

'Thanks Brad.'

'Ok' he said before walking out. I think he was a little hurt. I'll have to make it up to him. Whilst I was sorting myself out, my mind wandered back to how we had met, all those years ago. 

We had both attended auditions for a drama and music performance group on the same day - only I was auditioning for an acting part, and him for a part in the band. If I remember correctly, he played piano in the orchestral parts, and guitar in the more up-tempo parts. He really is very gifted. Very fortunately, we both secured the parts we had wanted, and so our weekly meetings began. We have both since quit the group, but have remained great friends - and I only live a fifteen minute walk away, which is great because it means we can still see each other often. We hadn't gone to the same schools so it was good to live so close to him, otherwise we would have likely drifted apart. Not that school attendance mattered now because Bradley had finished nearly a year ago - not going to college because he was putting all of his focus into the band he was in, 'The Vamps', and I am currently in the middle of taking my GCSE exams. With only a few exams left to go before summer officially starts, I have taken some time off revision and used this opportunity to visit Brad.

I hung my clothes on his radiator and put the towel I used in the wash, before going downstairs in his slightly oversized shirt and trousers. When I reached the bottom, Brad was conveniently walking past, so I quickly launched myself at him in a huge hug. He seemed surprised - although we always do this, but it was probably because of my former mood - and he hugged back. When we let go I apologised.