Part 5

"He what?" Lucas walked to me and he put his hands on my shoulders.

"What did you say? You didn't say yes, did you!?" He looked worried and angry and confused.

"Of course I said no. Why would I say yes?" I smiled.

"Oh. Okay. Sorry. I thought.." Lucas walked to the couch and sat there with one hand on his chest.

"You thought I'd say yes?" I sat next to him.

"Well, for a moment there.. yeah. You almost gave me a heart attack." He got his angry face on. But I can't help but to smile.

"You're afraid of losing me too?"

"Of course! Why are you smiling?"

"Because.. I thought I'm the only one who's afraid."

He pulled me into his arms. And he held me so tight I can barely breathe.

"Maya, if I lose you, I don't know what I would do." He whispered to my ear.

"Me too. But, I don't know if I can be with you." I pulled away.

"What? Why?"

"Lucas, my dad left me. I'm scared."

"Scared of what? I'm not gonna leave you Maya."

"If we get together, there's a chance that you might leave me. Or I might leave you. Isn't that what people do? I don't wanna end up hurting each other."

"Maya, I love you." He held my hands.

"My dad loved my mom too. But one day he just walked out on us."

"I won't. Don't you trust me? You said I'm a moral compass."

"I trust you. I don't know if I can trust myself."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Me, my mom, Shawn. People leave us. That's why we're broken. Somehow we drove people away. That's what we do. What if I drove you away? Or the other way around? What if I'm the one who leave?"

"Maya, why are you here?" He raised his eyebrows.

"I don't know. When Josh asked me out, I don't know why but all I can think of is that I wanna see you. I can't even remember how I got here." I talked so fast, and he smiled at me.

"I know why."

"Why what?" Now I'm the one raising my eyebrows.

"I know why you wanna see me. You love me too Maya."

"Okay, hold on there, Ranger Rick. I like you. Okay? I do. But I don't know if I.."

"If you love me?" He cut before I could finish. "You do Maya. You know you do. And I love you too." He leaned in, and I didn't know what to do. All I know is I can feel his soft lips on mine. My brain tells me to pull away but I can't. I can feel his hands on my back, pulling me closer to him. I put my hand on his arm. His arms are so big, wrapped around me, they make me feel safe.