Part 3

"Oh my God, Maya.. Look, I'm so sorry. I'd do anything to make it up to you." For a brief moment, I believed that he didn't even realize that I might needed him more than Riley needed him that day.

"I've told you. It's okay. Riley's a sweet girl. She can't handle something like that herself. And she was with Auggie. But despite all that, you did left. And I know, there will be times when you'd do that again because you can't help yourself. You care about her. So much." I walked to the couch and sat.

"And the feeling I got yesterday when you left me alone at the park. I don't want to feel that again. My dad left me, Lucas. He made me the broken girl I am now. And if I lose someone else again, I don't know how broken I would be."

Lucas sat next to me. He looked very guilty, although we both know he didn't do anything wrong.

"Maya, I'm not your dad." He tried to calm me down. But I can't trust him to stay. And I can't afford to lose him. I thought it would be easier if we're not together. You can't lose something you don't have.

"Maybe we should just be friends." And as soon as I said it. I felt more broken than ever. I didn't even know that there's still something left of me to be broken.

"Maya, I'll do anything to make it up to you. Can you forgive me?" I saw his face as he said that. And I looked away, I know I'll just fall right back into his arms if he kept talking. So I stopped him.

"Look, I've told you that I'm not mad at you. And can we not talk about this now? I'm really tired and I want to think about this alone."

"Okay, I'll leave. Right after you tell me we're not breaking up. I don't wanna lose you, Maya." I stared into his eyes.

"Break up? I don't even know if we're ever dating. Yes, we went on a date. But.." I sighed. "But, honestly, I don't know what we are right now." He stepped forward and he pulled me into his arms. And I'm too tired to pull away. "I really need some rest, Huckleberry. You should go home."

"I'll make it up to you. I promise." He kissed my forehead and then he went home. Leaving me alone with my thoughts and doubts. What are we, really?

I was just laying on my bed in my pajamas when my phone rang. I was surprised to see the name on the screen. Josh.

"Josh?"

"Hey, Maya."

"Well this is a surprise." I smiled a little.

"Why?"

"Well you never called me before."

We talked for a while. He got few days off and he's staying at Riley's. He asked me to meet him tomorrow. And I agreed.

The next day, school went on like usual. Riley and Farkle stared at me and Lucas a few times during class and lunch. But I ignored them. After school, Lucas asked me if I want to hang out and talk.

"I can't. I promised Josh I'm gonna meet him at Topanga's."

"Josh?" Lucas, Riley and Farkle were so shocked their eyes almost popped out.

"Why are you meeting my uncle, Maya?" Riley looked worried.

"He said that he wanted to talk. I said yes. What's the big deal?"

"Maya, you used to like him." Lucas sounded angry.

"Oh, come on. We all know he doesn't like me back. And he never will. Right, Riles?"

"I hope not. I don't want you to be my aunt."