Part 1

I dropped myself on my bed. My phone's ringing inside my pocket. I ignored it several times until I finally decided to take it out of my pocket. Riley. I just let it rang until it stopped. A few minutes later that thing rang again. I took a quick look at the screen. Lucas. And I turned off my phone. I'm an idiot, I said to my self. What was I thinking?

The next day, I came by the Matthews's to pick up Riley. I climbed in from her window.

"Maya!" Riley was waiting for me at the bay window.

"I called you like a dozen times yesterday." Riley looked at me with concerns in her eyes. I didn't know how many times she and Lucas called me yesterday. I haven't turned on my phone again.

"I know. I'm sorry. I turned off my phone. Got a lot of things I need to think of." I fake a smile, and I know she knew something was bothering me.

"Maya, you can talk to me. Real friends listen, remember?" Riley put her hand on my shoulder. It felt kinda nice, but I wasn't ready to talk. Yet.

"I know, Riles. We'll talk later. We gotta go to school."

"Maya.."

"Riley, if I tell you now, we're gonna be here until we graduate." I stopped her before she could even try to make me talk. And she agreed to talk after school.

Riley and I walked in to the classroom together. Everyone was already there. I sat on my seat, and I felt Lucas staring at me. I didn't want to talk to him, or anyone at the time. So I just sat there looking at the blackboard until Mr.Matthews finished with the class. Unfortunately, we do have lunch. I wasn't ready to talk so I didn't go to the cafetaria. Instead I decided to go to the art room to draw something. I was just started to drew a line on my sketchbook when Lucas walked in.

"We need to talk." He stared at me. I used to love looking into his eyes. I used to feel safe and happy. But I didn't know what to feel anymore.

"Nothing to talk about." I looked back to my sketchbook.

"Maya, I'm sorry I left." Lucas took the brush from my hand.

"No. You're not." I finally gathered the courage to stare back at him.

"I am, Maya, I'm really sorry."

"Maybe. You feel sorry for leaving me. But I know you didn't feel sorry for deciding to help Riley yesterday. I'm fine, Huckleberry. Just go." I took back the brush. He was still standing in front of me. I ignored him and kept painting.

"So, what's wrong?" Riley dragged me to the bay window after school.

"I met my dad yesterday."

"What?!" Riley was so surprised, I thought her eyeballs almost popped out.

"It didn't end well. I kinda screamed at him for leaving me and my mom. And he almost hit me, but my mom stopped him. Then I ran away." I took a deep breath.

"I know you have to babysit Auggie, so I called Lucas. We met at the park. He sat next to me and he asked me what's wrong."

"Wait, Lucas was here yesterday." Riley looked confused.

"Yeah, I know. I was just about to tell him about my dad when he got your text. He said you and Auggie saw a weird guy when you walked home from Topanga's." I tried to smile. "So, he left. He wanted to make sure you're both okay."

"Maya, you know I'm dating Farkle now. There's nothing you need to worry about me and Lucas." Riley put her hand on my shoulder.

"I know you're with Farkle. I also know you didn't call Farkle because he was out with his parents. I'm not mad Riley. Or jealous."

"Then what is it?"

"I guess I was just.. disappointed."