10

I didn't notice, but I started walking. I was going in the direction of the hospital, expecting to find Sam and Dean waiting for me in the parking lot, ready to take me in with open arms. Tire marks stood where their car should have been. I kept walking and I was starting to feel hungry. A bar was up ahead, and I figured I would go in there to clear my mind and process my thoughts. When I stepped in a bell rang. I sat myself at a table. I put my head down and closed my eyes. Before I knew it, tears were falling onto the table. I felt like forgetting everything Margaret told me. Why did she have to tell me? I was better off not knowing at all. All of this information was clouding my head; and I had no idea what to do with it or myself. I heard footsteps approach my table but I ignored them and didn't look up.

     "Should I tap her?"

     "What if it's not her?"

     "Fine, you tap her."

     "I am not going to tap her!"

     My head slowly raised to the mumbling that took place over me, and two faces I had been longing to see all day were staring back at me. "What are you guys doing here?" I tried to hide the eagerness in my voice, and how glad I was to see Sam and Dean hovering above me.

     "We were hungry." Dean said.

     I let out a laugh. "So you came to a bar?"

     He shrugged. "Comfort food?"

     Sam looked at me. "Were you.." he cleared his throat, "crying?"

     I wiped my face completely and tried to convince them no, but they didn't believe me.

     "Where's Margaret?" Sam asked, realizing I was alone and not with her. "Are you okay?" he was talking so fast. I just stared at him. "Can I.." he motioned at the seat in front of me. I nodded and he sat down.

     I looked down and set my hands on the table, not saying anything. Sam said or did something to Dean which made him say, "I'm going to the washroom." Dean walked away and it was just us two.

     Sam stared at me but I still didn't look up. He took my hand in his. I was startled, and gazed up at him. "You're shaking." he said softly.

     I took my free hand out and watched it wobble. I was crying again. I quickly turned away from him. "I'm sorry."

     He chuckled. "Why are you sorry?"

     I wiped my tears and chuckled. "For crying."

     "Don't be sorry," he let go of my hand, realizing he was holding it for so long. He cleared his throat. "Let's start with what happened. Is that okay?"

     I looked up at him and sighed. "I really don't know where to start."

     "Okay," I was making him confused, and he had no idea how to handle this situation. "Are you hurt?"

     I shook my head.

     "Is Margaret hurt?"

     I hesitated. I didn't know for sure, which bothered me.

     "Is she.." Dead?

     "No, she's not." I quickly said, knowing what he was implying. "She isn't dead. Nothing happened." I took a deep breath and stared at him. He was taken aback. I think a part of him knew I was lying, but a part of him also didn't want to pry. He just nodded and cleared his throat. We sat in silence for a while, and I felt that was a bit unfair for him, so I decided to speak up. "Sam?" His gaze turned back toward me. His brown eyes pierced right into mine, and it was like I forgot the world around us. The bar was completely empty now that I was just staring into his eyes, and it was just us two for that small moment. I wish this could work. I wish what I was about to say would make this moment even more perfect;

     But I was about to utterly destroy it.

     "I have to leave."

     He stared at me, not knowing how to respond, "Why?"

     I shook my head. "I wish I could tell you. But I'm afraid you will get hurt."

     He narrowed his eyebrows. "Sarah, what are you talking about?"

     I took a breath. "I should never have let it gotten this far anyway. There's something out there that I need to fix."

     "Are you in trouble?" he lowered his head, speaking quieter.

     I almost wanted to smile. My attempts of trying to leave only makes him want to help me. I didn't answer his question.

     "Listen," he continued, "if you're in trouble, we can help. Just-" he sighed, seeing my expression didn't change and his words weren't getting to me. "Don't go."

     I shook my head. "I'm sorry. I wish there was more for us."

     He let out a breath at my words. "Me too."

     "Tell Dean I said bye." I gave him a half smile and got up from the table I was sitting at. He didn't get up. He didn't even look at me. His hands were clenched, and it was almost like he was keeping something in. I opened the door, and was greeted with cool summer air. It was already dark out, and I was wondering how I'd get anywhere from here without my car. I wish Margaret wasn't so eager to leave, and could have dropped me off at the motel or something. Maybe it was a good thing. Maybe this walk was what I needed to sort my thoughts. I thought I'd start walking, but I couldn't move. Part of me didn't want to leave those two behind. Part of me wished I could stay. The sound of inside the bar became louder as someone opened the door, and became muffled once again when they closed it.

     "Sarah."

     I turned around. "Sam?" he looked relieved to still see me standing here. "What are you doing-" He inched closer to me. I didn't move. "I wanted to do something I was too dumb to have not done today at the hospital." he stepped closer, his hand reaching up for my cheek. This time, I didn't move away; I moved closer. I tried to breathe, but it was almost like I couldn't. I gazed into his eyes, watching them close as he leaned in closer to me, and then-

     Fireworks.

     His lips met mine, and I kissed back, as if this was not only the first time we would be doing this, but the last time. He released, cupping my face with both hands. I didn't want it to stop. It was so short, and I wish I could do it again.

     "Please, don't go."

     "Goodbye, Sam."