09

I used my free hand to grab a hold of the wheel, and we jerked from side to side.

     "Let go!" I managed to mumble out under my attempts to steer the car to safety. She finally let go and I navigated us through cars who were viciously honking at us. She unbuckled her seat belt.

     "Stop it!" I yelled, attempting to stop whatever was inside of her from throwing herself out of the car.

     Her hand reached up and held the door handle.

     "No!" I immediately spun the wheel around and the car slammed into a tree. Our heads jerked forward, and then whipped backward onto the seat. Almost in an instant we were still. I was frozen. My eyes were fixed at the tree we had crashed into.

     I wished that this was some dream, and I was going to wake up, and everything would be okay.

     But it wasn't.

     "Do you want to know something?"

     I jumped, startled at the sudden noise. This wasn't Margaret. I've never heard her in this tone before. I didn't know how someone could sound so different; so harsh; so. . .demanding.

     "It's all your fault." it repeated again.

     I turned over at her. She wasn't even looking at me. Instead, her eyes were fixed so intently in front of us. She wasn't even blinking. I narrowed my eyes. "What the hell are you talking about?"

     Slowly, her head turned toward me and her eyes met with mine. She smiled. "He's waiting for you."

     "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

     Her smile nearly reached her eyes. "Ask her." in an instant, a rush of black smoke was washed out of her, through the A/C vent, and into the sky. I watched as the smoke traveled elsewhere, until it was gone. I quickly turned to Margaret. Her eyes were fixated on her hands.

     "Margaret?"

     She clenched her hands into a fist, then relaxed.

     "Are you okay?" I unbuckled my seat belt and turned to her.

     She nodded, but didn't speak. It was almost as if she was dismissing me. She closed her eyes and leaned her head back. There was a large cut across her face now.

      "Let's go back to the hospital-"

     "No. No hospital"

     I stared at her. "Margaret, look at yourself."

      She was pale and a little bit shaky. All the colour look drained from her face, leaving behind a different Margaret. I didn't even want to think about how long that demon could have been possessing her for.

     I cleared my throat. "That thing . . . it said something."

     Her eyes opened and she looked at me. "I know."

     I took a breath. "What was it talking about?"

     She winced, as if she didn't want to answer me. Her head raised and she stared at me. "You need to go. Somewhere far."

     "W-What? Margaret, you're scaring me."

     "I'm serious. It's not safe here."

      I lean back. "Margaret, just explain, please."

     She took a deep breath. "I-I don't know how to tell you this."

     "I-It's okay. Just tell me." I stayed quiet and let her talk. From the way she looked, I didn't know if I wanted to hear what she had to say.

     "After your parents died, you stayed with someone who looked after you, right?" 

     I looked at her confused, "Yeah, Mark."

     "He isn't who you think he is." She paused and looked away for a second, "and neither are your parents." 

     "W-What?"

"You should know everything from the beginning. Everything Mark told you is a lie." she already started very bluntly "He was after two specific people all his life."

     I stared at her. "What do you mean 'after?'"

     She swallowed. "He's dangerous, Sarah."

     I looked at my hands. "Is he. . . human?"

     She hesitated and was silent for a moment. "No."

     I swallowed. "Demon?"

     She shook her head. "I don't know what he is. Something stronger than a demon." 

     "Who was he after?"

     "A demon who fell in love with a human. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, and he was ready to risk everything for her. Eventually, that's exactly what he did." she was silent for a moment, but continued talking. "They had a baby, and that baby would grow up to be very powerful one day. She was born half-demon. Mark decided he wanted her. And nothing would get in his way."

     I shook my head. "I don't understand."

     "That baby is you, Sarah."

     My breath stopped. I glared up at her. "I'm sorry, what?"

     "I'm sorry this is how you had to find out."

     I looked away from her, then back at her. "No, you just can't keep something like that from me and then tell me you're sorry."

     She sat still. "I know you're upset."

     "You won't even tell me how you know any of this, so why should I believe you?"

     "Sarah--you're still half-human."

     I looked at her. "I'm supposed to believe you?" I repeated. 

     "Please, just listen to me." she pleaded. I never heard her like this. It almost hurt. "Have I ever lied to you?"

     I looked to the side. ". . .No."

     "Then why would I start now?"

     I looked back at her. I guess she was right. No matter how crazy she was sounding, I know she'd never lie to me. "Fine. I'll listen."

      She faintly smiled, continuing speaking. "Mark was after your parents." she stated, like a wildfire, it caused an uproar inside of me.

     "Did Mark kill my parents?" I said without looking at her.

     "No. Only your Father."

      My heart sank. "Are you saying my mother is alive?"

     She didn't answer. "Once he saw they had a child; he realized that was what he wanted. He's after you." she took a breath, "I know you'll do great things, Sarah."

     I stared at her.

     "I have to go. Somewhere far. I'm sorry to just leave you here." 

     "What?" I watched her get into her car. "You can't be serious." and just like that she was gone, and I was alone.