Seagulls squawked, the waves roared as they crashed on the vast liquid expansion that provides millions of different creatures with life, and a relief from the glaring sun's heat. This is one of the many reasons why I came here to San Francisco. I've always dreamed of going to the ocean, to breathe in the salty air as I watched people enjoy what nature provided us.

Shadow barked. I glanced at his direction to see him frolicking in the water. Mochi didn't go near the water and stayed back, watching him splash about and roll in the muddy sand before it was washed away by the waves that crashed him. I chuckled as he shook off his wet fur, sending droplets flying everywhere before running back to where I am. He licked my face and smothered me with his wet fur, making me all wet.

“Shadow!” I laughed when he dug his muzzle onto my stomach, tickling me. I laughed so hard, my breath turned to ragged gasps when I finally pushed him off of me. I ruffled his fur and pet Mochi, who landed on my head. “You guys are so silly.”

Shadow barked, then plopped himself right next to me, Mochi curls up on my lap.

Shadow's ear twitched, his head turned to glare at something. Half a second later, I heard a familiar voice.

“Sky? Is that you?”

I turned and smiled. “Ian, hey. What are you doing here? Isn't it a school day?”

Ian, who was clad in light blue swimming trunks and an unzipped hooded vest, jogged over to me. His skin was slightly flushed from standing in the sun for too long. “Nope. Some idiot decides to pull a prank on the school by turning the gym into an aquarium.”

I frowned. “Where did they get all the fish?”

Ian shrugged. “I have no idea.” He glances over and spots Shadow. “Who's this?”

“Ian, meet Shadow. He was one of my patients at the hospital and didn't have anywhere to go. He took a big liking to me, so I took him in.” I scratched Shadow's scruff and felt him relax. “Shadow, this is Ian.”

Ian smiled at Shadow. “Hi Shadow. I'm Ian, Sky's friend.”

“Ian, be careful,” I warned. “He doesn't like people, especially strangers, so be very, very wary.” I rubbed Shadow's back. “He's a good kid.” I told him, knowing that he understood.

Ian slowly, had his hand out in front of Shadow's nose, palm up. He was very still when Shadow stared at him, then his palm, at me, then back to the palm, before he took a cautious sniff. Ian was watching, swallowing nervously. After a few seconds, Shadow licked his palm and went over me to greet Ian, not as affectionately as he does with me, but it was a good start. He bumped his head on Ian's shoulder.

Ian relaxed and placed his hand slowly on Shadow's back, stroking his ebony fur. Shadow’s tail wagged, showing how much he likes it. “You're a big boy.”

I sighed, happy to see Shadow accept someone other than me. “He is, and he's very choosy on who he accepts.”

Ian decides to be more courageous and wrap his arms around Shadow and give him a small hug. Shadow stiffens, then relaxes, his muzzle on his neck as Shadow sniffs him some more.

I frowned when I stared at Ian, noticing that there's something off about him. “Hey, you okay?”

Ian gave me a small smile. “I'm okay.”

I gave him a stern glare. “Don't lie to me.” I sighed and gave him a good pat on the shoulder. “You want to talk, i'll be there. And whatever it is, I will be here to support you.”

Ian was silent, his face buried in Shadow's neck. Shadow whined a little, sensing his distress. He mumbled something I couldn't hear.

“Ian?”