Chapter 17

[Freshly edited July 25th, 2021.]

Second Month of Winter

Third Era, Year 353

The overlord set sail for Berk again within days of signing a treaty that would create a pass through the mountains starting one year from the treaty date, with the agreement that Berk would not cause conflict in the meantime or thereafter.

Then the process of rebuilding began.

Ardan hadn't been expecting the emotional pain that filled him when he entered the castle above the city. The last time he had been inside, Caol had still been alive. Now it was lonely and empty, even with servants and guards.

All the portraits of the royal family had been destroyed and much of the castle had been left to ruin. Apparently the Berk occupiers had only needed a small amount of space. There were dark spots on the walls in some passageways that Ardan was sure was old blood from all those years ago.

Caolan set Dyna's mages to work repairing and adding on to the castle. He ordered the royal crowns melted down and remade in a somewhat simpler style, then to have two other crowns made. He had two new thrones built, identical to what the traditional queen's throne already in place looked like.

When these were all completed nearly two months after the truce, Ryal had the most interesting coronation ceremony following the most complex royal wedding Ardan was sure there had ever been. There didn't seem to be many objections to Caolan's choice of spouses, much to Ardan's amazement. As long as he had Queens Dyna and Nydia, and Kian publicly swore an oath to render himself infertile by drinking a potent tea on a daily basis, the country seemed content with the new tradition. Ardan wasn't sure the titles of Grand King and Second King were very creative, but the simplicity went over well with the rest of the newly-appointed court of other close supporters from Caolan's army.