Chapter 7

[Freshly edited July 20th, 2021.]

Third Month of Summer

Third Era, Year 347

They eventually settled in Flaice, a village near the northern border of the country. Arden chose the village because it was inviting, but far from the capital. He hoped that the location would allow a resistance to grow substantially before being discovered by the overlord. It was close to the border with Berk, but the mountains were too strong a barrier to allow danger to come from that direction.

They built a small farmstead on the edge of the village and began establishing relationships with their neighbors by purchasing animals and seeds. Ardan acted the part of Lilea's brother, helping her to raise his nephew after the loss of his brother-in-law during the invasion. The name he gave himself to live by from that point forward was Aise, in memory of the woman whose child he was caring for. Lilea kept her name, and they named the prince Caolan.

Over the years, Caolan was taught the skills of archery and swordsmanship, though Ardan had been forced to find a tutor for the boy from within the village. A retired soldier was the perfect candidate, having passed Ardan's loyalty test without even knowing he had. The man, Fen, offered to teach Caolan for no more compensation than some magic work from Ardan to improve his home.

If Fen hadn't passed Ardan's subtle test before the training began, he would have proven himself during a conversation Ardan overheard one afternoon.

"Keep training this well and you can be a soldier as soon as you turn seventeen," he said as he sat with the fourteen-year-old prince in the shade of a tree.

Ardan was about to step out the door and into the garden near the pair, but paused. Caolan was giving his mentor his full attention, and Ardan had to strain to hear what the man said next, Fen's voice became so quiet.

"But you don't want to join the army. You don't want to fight for the Berk overlord. They say King Caol's son is in hiding, and as soon as he shows himself, there will be a rebellion. You make sure you fight on his side."

Caolan nodded eagerly. "Mother says I was named after King Caol because he gave some great honor to my uncle. Of course I would fight for his son."

Fen patted the prince's shoulder, smiling. "You do that. But keep quiet about your plans."

Ardan pushed through the door and out to the garden. "Yes, I think that's enough traitorous talk in the garden for one day," he told them sternly. "I would rather not bring death upon us all just now. Caolan, it's time for your numbers lesson."

"Uncle," Caolan groaned, "why do I need to learn my numbers? It's boring and frustrating."

Ardan sighed. "I'm sure you don't plan to just be a common soldier. I'm sure someday you would want to become a captain or even a general. How will you understand strategy without knowing your numbers? How will you divide your forces and know where to send the most soldiers?"

Caolan groaned again, but stood up. At fourteen, he was almost as tall as Ardan already, and much stronger thanks to his military training. He would certainly look the part of the avenging prince soon enough.