Chapter 8

[Freshly edited July 21st, 2021.]

Second Month of Summer

Third Era, Year 350

By the time Caolan turned seventeen, Ardan was even more sure of the young prince's capabilities. He continued learning combat skills from Fen, and finally embraced his practical lessons from Ardan. Lilea taught him how to sew with the excuse that all soldiers needed to know how to mend their uniforms. The prince continued to quietly talk about rebellion, which Ardan encouraged with a stern warning about who he spoke to.

The day before Caolan's seventeenth birthday, Ardan took Fen aside and finally told him the truth. He knew he could trust the man, and even though he seemed obviously shocked, he swore to tell no one yet, and to continue teaching Caolan.

Telling Caolan the truth was not so easy. Ardan asked him to sit with him in the small sitting room of the house on the night of the prince's birthday.

"I have a gift for you," he began. "One I've been keeping for you since the day you were born. It comes from your father."

Ardan removed the signet ring from his finger and took the magic from it. Caolan seemed curious as he took the offered ring.

"What is it?"

"It is the signet ring of the late King Caol. You are his son."

Caolan glanced up, at first looking amused. When he saw the look on Ardan's face his expression changed to one of disbelief. "You're serious."

Ardan nodded. "I was the court sorcerer during his reign. When Ryal fell, he asked me to take you away and to raise you. He wanted me to help you lead a true rebellion."

Caolan looked pale. "I don't - I mean, I support the rebellion and I want to fight for it, but how can I possibly lead it? How can I lead an entire country?"

"You are not alone, Caolan," Ardan said gently. "I swore to your father that I would help you, and I intend to. I will find you true supporters. I already spread rumors of your eventual return as we left Ryal. There are many people already prepared to fight for you, I promise you."

Caolan glanced toward the kitchen where Lilea was cleaning up from the birthday meal. "Is she truly my mother, then? The queen?"

Ardan had prepared himself for the question, but he proceeded carefully. "She didn't give birth to you, no, but she nursed you and raised you from the day you were born. To me, that makes her your mother. And no, she's not my sister. She would be happy to talk to you if you ever wish to."

Caolan nodded silently. He stared at the ring in his palm for another few moments and said nothing. Then, finally, he slipped the ring onto the first finger of his right hand. He closed his hand into a fist and he looked up at Ardan, a look of determination in his piercing blue eyes.

In that moment Ardan could barely breathe. Caolan looked so much like Caol then that it took his breath away. Somehow, deep down, Ardan knew he was looking at Phelin's next king. The reality of their situation usually pressed that hope into a dark corner of his mind, but seeing Caolan at that moment changed that.

It would be a long battle, but they would win.