Chapter 13

[Freshly edited July 25th, 2021.]

Third Month of Autumn

Third Era, Year 351

The rebel army grew in number and saw very little bloodshed while they focused on the small towns and villages so far away from Ryal, but as they moved steadily toward the capital, they fought more soldiers fighting for the Berk overlord. They faced their first battle four months after they began their campaign, when they were nearly a thousand strong. Luckily, Overlord Kane Ferchar had underestimated the size of Caolan's force, and sent only half that number. Though they sustained some casualties, the battle was an easy victory for the rebels, which secured them more support from those who had previously doubted them.

Algoma, the country neighboring Phelin that had sent aid far too late when Berk attacked eighteen years before, chose to send their aid to Caolan. A gift of horses and a large mercenary unit arrived only days after the victory, bringing two carts full of medical supplies, dried food, and weapons. The mercenary commander also presented Caolan with a gift from the Algoman king, a set of elaborate riding clothes and fine armor.

Caolan made a brief but heartfelt speech thanking his soldiers for fighting with him, which seemed to boost the morale even more than the victory itself. He visited those who had been injured and thanked them as well, assuring them - especially those who would never be able to fight again - that their actions had been just as important as the actions of those who had come through unscathed. Many seemed to appreciate the words and the personal attention from their leader.

He also oversaw the burning of the dead and organization of their personal belongings to be returned to their families.

"It doesn't seem right not to thank them somehow," he said to Ardan as they walked among the bodies waiting to be burned. Some were those of Berk soldiers abandoned by their own army. They had been left on the field for two days so that the Berk soldiers could reclaim them, but no one had returned. Finally, Caolan had ordered the bodies collected to be burned honorably. None of the rebels had objected, even if the dead were enemies.

Ardan was trying not to breathe in the smell of the dead, but couldn't allow Caolan to take this solemn walk alone - Kian was busy trying to find information on where each of their rebel fighters had lived. "Sending their possessions back to their families will be thanks enough," Ardan assured him.

"Will it be enough for the families though?" Caolan asked. "Will they believe that their child or parent, sibling or lover died for the right reason? Or will they blame me? How do I really show the families that I appreciate what these people have done?"

Ardan thought about it for a moment. "I would say to write them letters, but you can't possibly write a letter for every fighter you lose from here to Ryal."

Caolan nodded. "I thought the same."

Ardan continued to think as they walked, considering what would be seen as a military honor. Then he remembered the summer tournaments that had been held at the castle of Ryal.

"What about medallions?" he suggested.

Caolan gave him a curious look. "Medallions?"

"They were often given as prizes for tournaments in Ryal," Ardan explained. "They wouldn't need to be very large and I'm sure our smiths have the metal scraps to make them. Have them depict the Steed of Ryal on one side, with an inscription stating how it was earned. It would need to be short enough to fit the size of the medallion."

"Perhaps, 'Earned on the battlefield beside Caolan'," the prince suggested thoughtfully.

"No title?"

"No title. They'll know."

Ardan nodded. "They will."