Chapter Thirty

(Before people get confused, Artemis is still Tigress. Her daughter, Diana, uses Artemis as her hero name)

October 1, 2040.

Somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean

"Dad, where are we going?" 

Nightwing didn't answer his inquisitive daughter, but he grinned at his twin sister, who had the same look of mischief in her eyes that he felt.

"Mom, can't you tell us?" Garth begged. Nightingale gave no answer.

They stopped at the door at the end of the hallway, and turned to face the group, their children.

The Next Generation of Heroes.

Emma Durham waved her hand in front of the door, and a holographic computer screen appeared.

"Voice Recognition: Nightingale, B00. Nightwing, B01."

"Recognize: Nightingale, B00. Nightwing, B01."

A robotic arm slid out of a hatch in the ceiling and began to scan each of the children.

"Recognize: Zatara, 200. Arrowette, 201. Nightstar, 202. Miss Martian, 203. Aquagirl, 204. Thunder, 205. Cardinal, 206. Artemis, 207. Brass Beetle, 208. Superboy, 209. Blue Beetle, 210. Girl Flash, 211."

All of the kids, not just Wendy, progressively got more and more edgy as the computer scanned each of them individually. They wanted to see what they were getting into!

When the computer finally finished its work, the robotic arm disappeared back into its hole.

"Now can you tell us what's going on?" Sandy asked, impatiently tapping her foot.

The circular door behind her mother and uncle split in two, sliding open.

"Woah."

"Oh my gosh."

"Wow!"

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!"

"What is it?"

Everyone looked at Wendy, wondering if the little speedster was joking or being serious.

The door opened up into a large, cavernous room, lit considerably brighter than the Batcave, Ryan noted. In the center of the room was a holographic training simulator, not unlike the one that the team had seen when they went to Mount Justice in the past. A duo of zeta-tubes stood across the hall, the advanced technology contrasting with the rocky cave walls. Several hallways branched off to either side, not including the one that they had just come through, which led to an underground garage where Nightwing had parked the Bat-jet that they had used to fly there.

It looked just like Mount Justice.

"Well, what do you think?" Nightingale asked, gesturing to the room. She and Nightwing stepped aside to let the kids enter and explore.

"Mom, what is all this?" Sandy asked.

"Yeah Dad, what is this?" Mar'i pressed her father.

"One sec, girls," Nightwing messed with his daughter's hair. "We gotta wait for-"

"Mom! Dad!" Wendy sped across the room and tackled her mother in a bear hug. Tigress was followed by Flash, Superman, the original Miss Martian, Aquaman, Zatanna, and Rocket. The first nine members of the team.

"Okay," Iris stood her ground in the middle of the expansive room. "Now can you tell us what's going on?" She had to fight to keep from laughing when Wendy refused to let go of their mom.