Chapter 7

"The, the maze?" I croaked out. The moment he had said the words I wanted to hear feat crept out from the back of my mind.
"Yeah, as you probably saw the walls around us protect us from what's out there, but when you're trying to find a way out you start to hate them. They go on for miles and they're so high there's not even a chance of climbing up them to look where you are." He looked sad when he said that. Like there was something he had left out. Something that he wanted to say but just couldn't quite get it out.

I looked at his face. It was stiff and he looked as if he was trying to hold himself together. His eyes were glazed and I could tell he was holding back tears. I wanted to hug him and tell him whatever it was would be OK. We'd make it out of this hell hole and everyone here would make it out and live happily ever after. There was one problem. I didn't even believe it.

"You, you said the, well the walls... pretect us... from what's, from what's out there?" Stupid. What. The. Hell. Am. You. Doing. My brain screamed at me. Oh dear lord it was right I should have just sat there until he said something or left. He was clearly upset. Ugh what is wrong with me.
"Samantha it's ok you don't need to be scared. The walls will protect us from the grievers."
My face must have shown fear, but not from what he thought.
"Listen" he had sat down on the bed next to me and took my hands in his. "So long as you stay in the glade and don't go out into the maze you'll be absolutely fine. And if anything or anyone ever tried to hurt you we'd all be there for you. In here we're a family, you're part of that now, we protect and help each other ok." And with that he got up and walked to the door.
"Come on you'll be hungry."