Chapter fifteen

Thats when I ran.

I ran into the waiting room and made eye contact with Hunter and I kept going. I walked out of the hospital, breathing heavily.

Cold air greeted my skin and lungs. I wandered around the side walk as I thought about what just happened.

My friend is dying and Riker still loves her

Why am I so selfish? Stephanie is going to be taken of life support in a hour and I'm worrying because the person I have a thing with loves her!

It doesn't even matter anymore. Shes going to leave us.

The girl I've known for as long as I can remember is leaving me.

I burry my face in my hands and cry. Nobody is watching so why not let it all out? I pace the sidewalk, replaying the last day in my head.

"Brookel, Are you alright?" Hunter asked.

I turn towards him and he looks at my tear stained face. "No." I say, honestly.

He walks over to me. "Why did you run out?" He searches my face for an explanation.

"Its just too much. Its all too much, hunter." I say, tiers running down my face. I shiver when he raises his hand to my face and uses his thumb to wipe away a tear off my cheek.

"I know how your feeling, Brook." He assures me and removes his jacket. He offers it to me and I slip it on. He continues. "When my dad died, I couldn't take it. I was too shocked to do anything for days."

I remember when his father died. It was on nine eleven. His dads death was what made them decide to move away.

"When I realized he was gone..." He shook his head. "As much as I still miss him, I'm happier now. And you will be too, given time."

I nod and a small, thankful smile tugs on the edges of my mouth, and he smiles back.

"Now can we go inside? I'm going to get frostbite." He laughs.

"Fine." I chuckle.

"As we walk inside and back into the waiting room Hunter puts his arm around me, pulling me close and I smile up at him.

As we walk towards our stuff Riker runs up to us with a shocked expression on his face.

"Brookel!" Riker yells as he approaches us. "Stephanie woke up."