The End... But Who Will Win?

I didn't want to waste energy in going all the way to New York in hyperspeed, but I had no choice. I was out of time. But I couldn't take Moonscales with me this time, dragging her with me halfway around the world would literally consume me. I had to do this on my own. I hoped that the sorcerers would do their job till I get there. I said goodbye to Moonscales, who I couldn't help but notice was getting more, well, natural with me. More candid and less calculating. I guess she had me completely figured out, or maybe had stopped trying to figure me out once she made sure that she could trust me. Whatever the reason, she talked to me as a friend.

      After a few quick stops in China, Japan and California, I finally reached New York at about 2 pm. IST. It was still dark there. As I landed on the street where the sorcerers and slayers were waiting for me about two blocks away from the warehouse, I summoned Bear's axe and absorbed it's energy. But even then I wasn't full. You can say that about eighty percent. It will have to do.

     The soldiers were on the other side of the road, and the scene before me was weirder than anything I had ever seen before, which is a lot considering all the things I had been through these few weeks. I had never been to New York, but the busy streets with busier people indifferent to their surroundings were just like Mumbai, albeit cleaner and a lot less congested. What was weird was the group of sorcerers clad in robes and garments of silk leaning over their staffs and chit chatting with slayers that looked normal, wore normal clothes but held weapons that definitely did not match with their attire. And the humans just walked past them without giving a second thought to the skinny and tall Indian kid who flew towards them at the speed of sound and landed in a busy street so early in the morning.

     I crossed the road and was greeted by Suraj, apparently the only Indian in the group.

"Is it done?", I asked.

"Yes", he replied. "The sorcerers finished the tunnel only about half an hour ago."

"And the slayers? Do they have the skills that I had requested?"

"Or best hypomind, brainjacker, shadoflo slayers. Most of them are even telekinetic."

"Good. Do they know what to do?"

"Yes. Moonscales have explained us all. We were only waiting for you. When do we go in?"

"Now"

"Right now? Are you sure you don't want to eat something first? You have flown all the way from India."

"So have you.", I pointed out. "And you probably didn't get any sleep too".

"We're used to it. Besides we had a lot of time to eat. And you are the one who needs the energy the most."

"I know, but we don't have time. Tell them to take their positions. The sorcerers can go now."

"Are you sure, sir?", one of the sorcerers asked. "Me and my pals would be happy to stay and help." He had a British accent, so it took me some time to figure out what he meant.

"You can't do anything. Sorcerers can't move through walls. There is no way you can enter the warehouse unseen."

"Ok sir, as you wish."

     He turned towards the rest of the sorcerers, did a gesture with his finger as if he was making a cyclone with his hand and said, "C'mon mates, time to go. Um, how do we go back?"

"How did you come here?"

"The telekinetic slayers gave us a lift." He turned to Suraj, "you're not givin' us a ride back home, are you mate?"

"No, sorry", Suraj said. "Not enough time."

"Guess we'll have to take the jet then" He made a slab of earth rise on the street which blocked the path of a bus and all the sorcerers got in. In their robes, they looked like they were characters of some play and were going to their performance. Then the British sorcerer put the earth back inside and the bus left. Soon after, the Gods repaired the cracks on the street and I left.