Chapter 13

The bus is crowded, more than usual. Max and I got on early enough that we have our normal seats, but we stand up so we don't get hit in the face with any more bags. The cut on my arm has healed into a very nice – but noticeable – scar. I ignore the stares and take out my jacket. Today Max and I are matching. Black skinny jeans, me in black converse, Max in black vans, black shirts and leather jackets.

"Lily, where's that necklace from?" Max picks up the hourglass and turns it over, watching the sand fall. "Oh, Zac got it for me. The fool was going to pay $20, but got it cheaper. Why? Do you like it?" Max drops it and purses his lips. I look at him worriedly. "Max, what is it? What's wrong?" He pulls a strand of my hair and smiles. "How come I can see it but you can't? Zac really likes you, Lily." He smiles, but his voice is bordering on protective. No, not possible. I barely know the guy. "No way. I've only known him for like, three days!" But all the clues point that way. The constant jealousy, the little gifts. I shake my head again. "No way, Max. You've got your head in the clouds."

Zac is sitting in the radio station waiting room when Max and I walk in. When he sees me, he smiles and stands up, but Ben, a demon hybrid, walks up to me, scowling. "Lily, hey! Your angel boyfriend won't go away, and you of all people should understand and remember the station rules." Of course: no visitors. I roll my eyes. "Ben, he's not my boyfriend. And I didn't know he was going to be here." Zac's smiles falls, and Max's words come back to me. Damnit! He is acting like my boyfriend. I grab his hand and pull him out of the room. "Max, you go in and set up, let me just deal with Zac." I say as I storm past, Zac in tow.

Outside the station, I let go of Zac's hand and twirl around. "What is your problem? Yesterday you would barely talk to me, and now you're acting all happy and wanting to talk to me! What is wrong with you?" He shifts on his feet and glances at the floor, like a little kid getting scolded. "I – I'm sorry, Lily. I just had a bad day, seeing Sam and everything. I'm sorry if that hurt you. I just want to forget it." The front of the school is starting to get crowded as buses line up and kids spew out of them. Zac puts a hand on my shoulder. "Did you tell Ben you're my boyfriend, or did he assume that?" Zac looks down guiltily. "I might have said something..." I glare at him. "Ok, so I said that. But Lily, they wouldn't let me stay. Is it because I'm an angel hybrid? Anyway, I had to tell them something to make them let me stay." His eyes look at me pleadingly, but I feel hurt and disgust rising up my throat.

I growl and pull on my hair, wanting to hit something. "Who else have you told? Who else have you lied to? We're friends, for crying out loud!" Some freshmen look at me like they're expecting my eyes to glow and a second head to sprout from my neck. I recognise a few hybrids amongst them and glare. They switch their gazes to the floor and push their friends along. Zac swipes his hand over his face and up through his hair. "No one... at least no one I can remember. There might have been one or two others..." I start heading back to the station, but Zac follows me. "No, you can't come back with me. I have a show to do, music to listen to and boring announcements to make. Go annoy Sophie or something, Zac. And stop telling people we're going out. We. Are. Just. Friends."

"And our time's up. Stay tuned for Lizzy's news report shortly. Couch potatoes out!" I pull my headphones only to hear some people arguing and pushing around outside the recording room. Max and I exchange glances and scramble to stand up. I fling the door open in time to see Ben punch Zac in the face. "Whoa, what's going on here?" I step forwards and shove both of them aside. Demon hybrids gather around Ben in a semi circle, while the few angel hybrids we have at the station catch Zac. Oops, maybe I shoved them too hard. Zac spits out a gob of blood and spit, and I wince as it hits the floor.

"Right, is anyone going to tell me what in Edom is going on?!" I shout. Ben steps up, and all the demon hybrids move with him. "Lily, he's been telling people you two are going out, and I – sorry – overheard you tell him you aren't, so I was telling him not to spread lies." Lizzy, an angel hybrid who does the school news steps forward and snorts. "No, you riled him up by saying 'Lily would never go out with angel trash like you'." I notice now that apart from Max, all the human radio presenters and crew have left. Then I also notice the time. Well, good thing the principle is an angel. He'll understand if we have a misunderstanding and miss class.