Chapter 7

Sunlight filters through the window, and I pull the blanket tighter around me, not wanting to get up yet. A groan arises from the other side of the bed, and someone pulls the blankets off me. Sitting up, I glance over at the other sleeping form. Curious, I reach over and yank the blanket down. Right there, beside me, is Zac. I scramble backwards and fall on the floor, my mind racing. Where are we? Why if Zac sleeping next to me? Why is his head wrapped in bandages? Why is there a demon bandage on my arm? What happened last night?!

Zac mumbles unintelligibly and turns over, his arm flung over his eyes. Memories of last night slam into me so fast, I gasp and double over. I really hate me dad right now. I get up and sit on the very edge of the bed, trying to wrap my head around it. "What the hell happened?" I wonder aloud. "Well, our fathers tried to murder each other." I jump to my feet in surprise and turn around to face Zac, who's squinting in the bright light, dried blood flaking off his cheek. I motion at my face with my hand. "You got a little something there, but maybe go to the bathroom to scrub it off." I didn't want Mrs Blubak to have angel blood flakes all over her spare bed.

Zac's hand flies up to his head, and flinches when he prods the heavy bandages around his temple. "Huh. I don't know how I'm going to explain this to Sophie at school." I freeze. Oh hell. "No no no! We have school! Oh hell, mum's going to skin me alive!" I pace around the room, glaring at Zac's calm expression. "Do you really plan on going to school with that thing on your arm?" I growl at Zac. Like, actually growl. I rarely growl. Zac's eyes widen in shock. "Sorry. I don't usually growl. It's been a long night of trying to keep everyone alive." I crumple onto the floor and scrub my face with my hands. Zac gets up off the bed and stands over me. "No. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have baited you. But really, what is that black green thing on your arm?" Oh yea. I forgot about the demon bandage. "Well, it's a demon bandage, duh. Don't you angel have some weird ass angel bandage?" Zac looks at my arm in disgust. "Well, yea, but it isn't as ugly as that creature. Ours is like a cloud." I almost puke right there. A cloud? Who would want a cloud wrapped around their arm?

I get up again and walk out the door and down the stairs. I hear Zac scramble down after me, but ignore him. There are voices in the kitchen, so I head towards it. Stopping in the doorway, I feel my jaw drop. Sitting at the kitchen table are my parents and Michael. Zac stops beside me, and his jaw falls too. Then I see the heavy wards surrounding each person, even my mother. It seems Mrs Blubak is more powerful than I thought. "Um, what's going on?!" I nearly shout.

Everyone's voices stop as they stare at us. My mother frowns. "Lilith. That is not how a woman should talk. Sit down please." My feet walk forward on their own accord, and Zac does the same. We sit down in the last two seats – right between dad and Michael. Just to be on the safe side, I sit next to my father, and Zac sits next to his. Mrs Blubak gets up and starts making tea and toast for Zac and me.

I flinch when my mother turns to me. "So, Lilith. Would you like to explain to my why there's hell dirt in the entryway, blood on the back porch and why we are all huddled in Mrs Blubak's kitchen?! Would you like to explain why I came home from a long days work to find your godforsaken father trying to kill an archangel? Would you like to –?" Mrs. Blubak holds up a hand, cutting my mother off. "Questions later." She turns to Zac and I, and places our breakfast in front of us. "Now, you can listen as you eat. It won't do anyone any good if you pass out at the table." Zac obliges, digging in, but I only sip at the tea. Mrs. Blubak looks at all five of us. "I will leave you to your personal matters while I do house work, but try to not destroy my house." She turns and exits the room, leaving us alone.

Michael starts muttering under his breath, but Zac whispers something to him and he stops. Dad leans over as much as he can [due to the wards, I guess] to whisper in my ear. "Have you signed the contract yet?" My eyes fly open. Oops, I still haven't signed that. I poke Zac, and he must have heard my dad because he pulls the contract out of his pocket, and supplies the pen too. What the hell? Are they enchanted or something? I could have sworn his pockets were empty! I take the paper from him and quickly read through the terms and conditions. Everything seems reasonable enough, and Zac has added a bit on the end that says we can always terminate the contract to re-write one. I sign my name at the bottom with a flourish, and hand it back to Zac. He passes it to his father, who blows it into the air. It turns into a dragonfly and whizzes out the window, obviously off to heaven or something like that. I roll my eyes at Michael's extravagance. He could have just sent it off.

Michael grins at me. "Is the little devil jealous?" My mother gets up and goes to slap him, but is repelled by the wards around him. "How dare you call my daughter that! She's nothing like her father!" Yep, still denying it. Michael just laughs. "Pfft! Please. Ms Alder, you know who the father of your daughter is, don't you?" My mother nodes slowly. "And you are aware that your daughter snarls and growls at others? Are you aware that she sometimes looks like her father when she's angry?" A sharp intake of breath, but nothing else. Damnit, what is he hoping to achieve by doing this. "Ms Alder, do you love Lucifer." My father laughs. "Really Michael? Does Sophie still love you?" Zac, who was silent before, stands up abruptly. "You will not mention my mother in front of me!" He looks magnificent. His eyes are glowing bright, like literally glowing, and his face is really hard, like it's carved from marble...

I shake my head. Was I really just thinking that? "Zachariah. Sit down." The authority in Michael's voice is apparent, and Zac sinks slowly back into his chair, his face back to normal. I put my hand on his, and he gently squeezes it. My mother eyes our hands, and I pull away. "Well, I think we're done here. I'll just call Mrs. Blubak, and we'll be going." My mother announces. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Michael, Zac." She turns to my father. "You. You're going to come home with Lily and I, and we're going to have a talk." My mother loves situations like this, ones where she can grasp and take control.

When she gets up and leaves the room, I lay my head down on the table. "Lily, darling. Are you hurt?" I look up at the kind tone of dad's voice. "Uh, no, I'm fine. Why?" He raises his hand and places it against the barrier. "You have a demon bandage on your arm." Oh, that's right. "Oh, right, that. Well, when Zac and I were leaving the house last night, we both fell of the porch. Zac hit his head," I motion to the white bandage on Zac's brow. "And I cut my arm. So yea." Dad frowns. "But I'm fine, I swear. It was totally my fault we got hurt, anyways." Zac jumps in to object, but I hold up my hand. "No, it really is my fault. End of discussion."

----------------------------------------------------

What do you think of Lucifer and Michael's attitude towards each other? too cold? not cold enough? should they hate each other more?

How about Zac and Lily? 

Lucifer's Daughter [ON HOLD]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara