Chapter 5

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?!?!?!" Max shouts at me after I finish telling him everything. We were walking to our lockers after our last period, pushing through the end-of-school rush, when I told him quietly. I wince. I hate it when Max is upset with me. "Look, I'm sorry, ok. I just don't want you involved if things turn nasty. I was just trying to protect you. And anyway, I was going to tell you after I had decided what to do." Max huffs and starts shoving his books into his backpack. I know he's already forgiven me. It's always been like this. We'll fight, and even before the argument is over, we would have already for given the other. "Hey, I'll make it up to you. How about we have pizza and a movie at my place?" I offer, knowing he wouldn't be able to resist. "Fine, but are Eidolon and Zac coming?" Huh, I hadn't thought of that. It's been the two of us for so long, I'm not used to all these new people. Eidolon was never one for friendly get togethers. "I don't know. If you don't want them there, I won't invite them. If you don't mind, then I'll invite them." A warm body sidles up next to me. "Who are we inviting where?" Zac asks, yanking his locker open. His hair is wet and plastered to his forehead. He must have just had sport. That is the one lesson we don't share, thank the Devil. Max shrugs. "Yeah, I don't mind. It'll be good to get to know everyone better." He pulls on his backpack. "I'll wait for you at the bus stop." He nods at Zac and walks off.

"So, wait. What's going on?" Zac asks, shoving his hair out of his eyes. "Oh, are you free tonight? Max and I are going to my house for pizza and a movie. Eidolon might be coming too." He frowns, and seems to be having an internal battle. I scramble to cover the awkwardness. "But, if you have other plans, it's ok. You don't have to come. I'll, er, see you later." I close my locker and start walking towards the front door. My bus will be arriving soon, and I really don't want to walk home. Zac nearly slams into me as he runs after me. "Wait! Lily, I never said I wasn't coming. I was just thinking of what to tell my mum. She'll be over the moon if I tell her I went to a girl's house, no offence. She'll think we were getting together. So I'll just tell her I'm going to a guy's place." He rambles. "You don't mind if I tell my mum I'm going to Max's house, do you? Do you think he'll mind?" I laugh. "No, I don't think he'll mind. But don't tell him, just in case."

Luckily, mum's at a work function, so she won't be home until late. Max and I walk in and start organising things before Zac and Eidolon arrive. Eidolon only agreed when she heard Zac was coming, otherwise she wouldn't have come. But that's not what I told Max, anyway. He's just happy she's coming at all. Max and I have a routine for movie nights. I grab the popcorn; he grabs the pillows, rugs and bean bags. I order pizza; he sets up the projector in my basement. I've just finished microwaving the popcorn when the doorbell rings. "Max! Can you please get the door! Thank you!" I shout at Max before running up stairs to quickly change. I throw on some black comfy leggings and a light green sweater with dancing robots on it. I quickly pull on some fluffy sock before running downstairs.

The doorbell is still ringing, and I hear Max moving around downstairs, so I race over and yank the door open. Eidolon and Zac stand there, eyebrows slowly rising at my outfit. "Hey, sorry. Max was meant to get the door, but I don't think he heard me." Eidolon steps around me into the house. Zac grins and looks like he's trying to hold back a laugh. "What?! Why are you looking at me like that? Have I got something on my face?" Now he just totally gives up and starts laughing. I step back from the door and he walks in, straight into Max. "What? What's so funny? Does Lily have something on her face?" I smack the back of his head. "Hey! So, you just assume I've got something on my face because someone's laughing?! Thanks!" Max rubs his head with his hand. "Ow! Geez, Lily, I was joking. It's happened before." It has.

Max turns away and walks into the kitchen, grabbing a Sprite from the fridge. I turn back to Zac. "Now will you tell me what's so funny?" "Fine. It's just, whenever someone invites me to their house; they always make it so formal. Then you rock up wearing all your comfy stuff. It's just funny." Suddenly I feel self-conscious. "Why, what's wrong with that?" "Oh, nothing. It was nice. I like it." He follows Max and Eidolon down to the basement, leaving me standing in front of the door. When I turn around, the pizza delivery guy is walking up the path to my door. I grab my purse and go greet him.

There's a knock at the door, making me jump. I had just come upstairs to go to the toilet. I cautiously walk to the door and put my ear against it. "Come on, Lilith. Is this how you greet your father? I know you're home. Open up!" I smile and yank the door open, jumping into my dad's arms. "Hi dad! What are you doing here? I was going to visit you this weekend but mum said I can't and I haven't seen you in ages how is Hell I have so much to tell you - " He laughs. "Ok, ok. Jeez Lily. Calm down. Is your mother home? Oh, wait that's right. No, she has here conference whatever it's called." He rolls his eyes. "Are you home alone?" I shake my head. "No, Eidolon and Max and Zac are here." His eyes darken. Oops, I accidently told him Zac was here. "No, don't say anything, dad, or I will murder you. He's a friend and I don't see why you were so afraid of him." Dad growls and pushes past me into the house.

Downstairs I hear a smash, and feet on the stairs. Zac bursts into the room, followed by Eidolon and Max. They skid to a stop when they see my dad. My dad's eyes have turned bright red, and little flames leap in them. Eidolon falls to her knees, reciting Latin. Max turns around and walks away, knowing that he being there will make everything worse. Zac stand stock still, shoulders stiff. He seems to be glowing from the inside. Shoot. This is bad. This is very, very bad. One Devil, two demon hybrids, one angel hybrid and a mundane. This could go very badly.

I move around dad and motion to Eidolon, who is still on her knees. She crawls across the floor towards me, too scared to stand up. "Eidolon, I know you don't really like Max, but you need to get him out of here, otherwise he's in deep danger. He's my friend and I really don't want him getting killed or anything. If you do this I will owe you big time. Thanks." She silently nods before standing up and tip-toeing around Zac and dad. I know they will exit out the back door and walk around, so they'll be safe. Turning back, I watch as Zac runs his hands through his hair, knuckles white. His lips move, as if he's chanting or something. Dad laughs. "Don't bother, angel boy. Daddy can't save you here. This is my territory, and you're trespassing." I realise Zac is trying to summon his dad. By saying a particular chant or prayer, a pure hybrid can call up their unearthly parent. Zac must have been chanting the Lord's Prayer. And unfortunately, dad's right. He put wards up around the house, allowing only hybrids and himself in the house. And humans, of course. The air seems to shake for a minute, and dad whips around, striding towards the front door.

When he yanks it open, there is a dark haired man standing there. He is leaning into thin air, the wards keeping him out of the house. I think it's safe to assume this is Archangel Michael. The resemblance between father and son is almost completely accurate. Zac's eyes are blue, whereas Michael's are an otherworldly gold. When Michael catches sight of dad, he stops struggling and stands stock still, like Zac was a few minutes ago. "Lucifer. Long time, no see. How is Hell this time of year?" Michael sneers. I hiss in response, and his gaze shifts from dad's to mine. He laughs mockingly. "Fine little spawn you have there. The perfect heir for your little haven." I take a step forward, rage burning through my veins, but a small strangled sound from Zac stops me. I look over at him, and he tries to take a step towards his dad, but stops and screams in pain.