It was becoming harder to breathe now, that stupid ailment! "If you kill me, you're losing the last piece of living memory from that time. Can't you remember when I was little, and Selena would read me a story in her rocking chair while you watched on happily? I remember then."

"And do you know the reason why I never was nice to you after I killed Selena?" he interjected, and I stopped talking to cough into my sleeve and look at him expectantly.

"No, but I always imagined it was because I reminded you of Selena."

"Wrong!" he thundered, and I flinched. "You reminded me of the fact that we couldn't have children of our own! It's what I wanted, and she wanted it as well, but it was impossible. Then I killed her and all that was left was you, the innocent little girl who stupidly believed my story about her dying in a car wreck. Good thing the hit on the head I gave you made you forget witnessing the entire thing!"

"I know I saw it, I remembered it not five minutes ago," I growled. "And then when I left, you stewed in your hatred until it drove you to hunt me down and kidnap me, take me here, and for what? You think I'm just going to let us live together like father and daughter, the same way it had been for the past eleven years? It would never happen! I know who I am now, I found my family and where I belong, and let me tell you something right here, right now: I will not let you get away with what you've done."

"Then you leave me with little choice," he replied as he pulled out a pair of handcuffs and a whip. A spike of terror stabbed through me and I stumbled back, my eyes locked on the torture implements.

"No, no!"

~~~

"Are you positive this is the correct road?" England asked as he and America consulted the map. They were parked on a shoulder in the road and were afraid they were lost.

"I, uh, I think so?"

"Oh, mon dieu..." France groaned while lounging back comfortably on the leather seat. Canada just stared into space, lost in thought.

~~~

I barely had anything left in me; my back was sliced open by countless whip marks that bled a puddle around my body. I bore a cut over my left eye, and that bled too, blinding my vision there. At least Taleah had managed to stay unnoticed-

"No, no, leggo!" Taleah screamed when Martin dragged her out from under the blanket. If I'd been a dog, my ears would have perked up ever so slightly even though I was so numb.

"Melina dearest didn't scream as loud as I would like, you'll have to make up for that!"

The spark in my core rekindled, just a little. I strained at the handcuffs keeping me facing the wall and in place; a metal bar was bolted into the stone and that's what my cuffs were secured around.

Martin laughed while Taleah whimpered and clawed uselessly at his hand. "You'll break those cuffs when hell freezes over, sweetie."

I didn't dignify him with a response, just kept tugging with the little bit of strength I had left in me. I heard Martin throw Taleah to the ground and take a few steps back. I envisioned him raising his whip above his head simultaneously with her fearful cries, and I have no idea what happened in the next two seconds.

There was a crashing and cracking sound, my wrists stung, and I was on my feet, standing protectively in front of Taleah. The end of the whip was clutched in my hand, and Martin was staring at me in shock.

"Wh-What... What the hell?" he yelled, and Taleah let out a huge sigh before passing out behind me. I dropped the whip end and stared at my hands, which were raw and scraped. The chain connecting the cuffs was broken, and my wrists were bleeding from the bracelets cutting into my skin.