5. Things in Motion

Uploaded: 14 June 2013

So I had kissed Damien and I was debating whether or not I should tell anyone about it. On the one hand, there was the uncertainty about our situation. Were we friends? I honestly didn't know. They only times we talked were the times he was trying to get me to go out with him. We certainly weren't a couple. I'm not the kind of girl to say she has a boyfriend after only one date. On the other hand, a kiss like that wasn't meant to be kept secret. It was just too good.

That was the dilemma I was facing in history. To tell or not to tell? Well, that was the dilemma I was facing until I got chewed out by Powers for not paying attention. What can you do? I just nodded through the whole thing. So Powers finished his rant, I decided I would tell Mary Sue about Damien, and was then struck with the realization that I would have to sit through DeWinters's class in a matter of minutes.

Great.

I still can't believe that I forgot about him (that morning at least). I suppose Damien was really good at being distracting. Well the awkwardness hit me full force with the ringing of the bell. Teachers should not know anything about their students' lives outside of school. Separation of school and the extra curricular! Or something like that.

My feet literally dragged all the way to literature class. No, I am not misusing the word "literally." My feet dragged; I tripped over them; I fell into a wall.

Klutz.

I arrived at literature with a giant red mark on my forehead. The class passed without mention of my meeting with DeWinters, no sideways glances, no acknowledgement at all. I felt pretty relieved by the time the end of class rolled around, but that feeling disappeared when a hand gently grabbed my arm and guided me back into the classroom as I tried to leave.

"Can you stay just a minute, Perci?"

I saw Heather DeBitch stop and give me her very best hate glare before she strutted out of the classroom. DeWinters sighed and shook his head.

"I know she's been giving you trouble." He nodded in the direction of the door. "Look," he said, sitting down on the corner of his desk. "if she's really bothering you, let me know and I can talk to her. It wouldn't be the first time."

I was quite, I think for just a little too long. I thought this conversation would be about something else.

"Don't worry, I won't tell her you said anything."

I shook my head.

"It's fine, really. But thanks anyway." It was nothing I couldn't handle.

He gave me a concerned look anyway; then changed the subject.

"While you're here, I want to lay to rest anymore concerns you might have..." He got up and went to close the classroom door. "...about last night."

And that's what I was waiting for. I found myself looking down at my shoes.

"Don't worry." He said with a laugh. "I'm not going to tell anyone you were out drinking."

It was just the one.

"I know these things happen and I don't think it's my place to tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing outside of school. That's up to your parents."

His tone was cool, giving me enough reassurance to look back up. He smiled.

"I know I did the same things at your age, so I have no place to judge, but I want to tell you to be careful with these sorts of things. Not just because you could get in trouble, you need to be careful who you trust yourself with."