Chapter 25

Cato POV:

"Cato," I hear a worried Peeta call. I turn to him and his face is completely pale. "Katniss' water broke. We need to go to the hospital now."

"Ok," I say. "You and Katniss can get in my car and I'll take you there." Peeta tells Katniss that.

Katniss says, "I need a girl with me. Clove!" Clove comes jogging over and almost fall because you her shoes. I grab her arm so she keeps her balance. "Hospital. Now." Clove nods and gets in my car. It amazes me how girls can say two words and now exactly what they're best friend needs.

Peeta helps Katniss into the backseat and he gets in after her. I go over to the driver's side and I'm about to get in until I hear Gale ask, "What's going on?"

"Katniss is going into labor," I say. "Meet us at the hospital. You'll have to drive Finnick and Annie." Gale nods and goes off somewhere. I get in the car and drive to the hospital while Clove and Peeta both try to keep Katniss calm. We arrive at the hospital at the same time as Gale, Johanna, Finnick, and Annie. Peeta and them all help Katniss inside. Clove and I walk behind everyone. "You don't want to be apart of that?"

"Not really," she says. "They'll only allow Peeta back there. I let Mrs. Everdeen know we're here and she should be here soon." Clove looks around and sees Mrs. Everdeen come running out of her car. "Or they're here now." Clove waves her over. She explains to her that Katniss is already inside. She both run inside. Clove and I walk inside and see everyone but Peeta and Mrs. Everdeen in the waiting area. Clove and I go take a seat across from Gale and Johanna.

"This is so exciting!" Annie says. "I can't believe Katniss and Peeta are gonna be parents! Isn't it great, Cato, that it's the day before you leave tomorrow?" Everyone stares at Annie in shock that she just said that in front of Clove. Everyone knows that Clove doesn't know. "Oh, I wasn't supposed to say that."

"What do you mean leaving? Where are you going?" Clove asks confused.

"Can I talk to you outside, Clove?" I ask. She nods we get up and go walk outside. I hear Johanna say, "Nice going, Annie."

We sit at a table outside of the hospital. They are quite a few families around us so hopefully she doesn't get too mad at me for not telling her now. "What was Annie talking about?"

"Please don't be too mad at me for not telling you until now," I start.

"I don't promise anything," she says crossing her arms.

"Well," I continue. "I'm leaving for San Diego tomorrow."

"Why are you going to San Diego?" Clove asks.

"To join the Marines," I say.

"What?" Clove asks raising her voice. "You're leaving for the Marines tomorrow and you didn't tell me until today? Who does that, Cato?"

"I didn't know how to tell you, Clove. I basically got kicked out of college and needed a plan. My dad thought it'd be a great idea. It actually has brought us a lot closer. I didn't want to tell you because then it would become real that I'm actually leaving you and my family and everyone else here," I say. "I don't want to leave, but it feels right for me."

"Well, I really can't be mad at you if you think serving our country is right for you because my dad and your dad both did too," Clove says. That's how our parents became friends because they trained together. "But I'm pissed that you didn't tell me and that you're leaving. We're Clato. We're stuck together and neither of us are allowed to leave each other."

"I know, Clove," I say. "If we were still dating, I almost definitely wouldn't leave, but we're not. You've got Alex and I've got nothing here anymore. I mean, sure I've got all my friends, but no one I'm in love with. Well there's you. Shit, I shouldn't have said that. Honestly, I don't know what I'm trying to say."