4.

April pulled back from me and smiled shyly, "you're a good kisser grumpy cat." My flushed face turned even more red and she giggled. She got up and walked to her bathroom, "I'm going to take a shower, I'll be right back." I nodded and waited.

When she walked out the room, I laid back on the bed with a big smile on my face. There something about that girl.

I took a short nap and was woken up by April who was only in a towel. She had curly hair that was dripping with water. I looked at her lips and saw they were wet too. "Let's start our project", she spoke.

I frowned at her, "you're in a towel?" She looked down and smiled awkwardly, "oh yeah... Looks like I have to change." She was about to drop the towel, but I turned my head. I heard her laugh and I turned red, "I was playing Grumpy cat!" I laughed and looked at her giggling figure. "I love messing with you Gabriel!", she chuckled.

April got some clothes and walked back to the bathroom. She came back later in a tank top with no bra and shorts. She sat next to me and put her laptop on the bed.

We searched for the movie and finally found it. I leaned back against the headboard and April placed her head in my lap. I played with her curly hair
And watched the movie. I smiled when April laughed softly at the movie.

About an hour into the movie my phone rang. I looked down and saw that my dad was calling me. My body stiffened and April felt it. She paused the movie and looked at me, "what's wrong?" I raised a finger and she bit it, I jumped back and chuckled.

"Hello?" I answered. "Get your ass home right now, you little shit", he growled and hung up.

April frowned, "was that your brother? He sounds grumpier than you." I smiled softly before getting off her bed, "I have to go." She nodded, "I'll take you home."

After saying goodbye to carol and nick, we left her house. The ride was quiet as always and I was shaking the whole time. When we arrived, April got out and helped me out the car. I crutched to the door and it swung open. My father was in a suit and was scowling over my shoulder. I frowned and turned around, only to see a smiling April.

She reached her hand out to my dad, "hi I'm April!" My dad looked at her disgusted, "why the fuck are you on my porch?" Her lips pouted a little and she frowned, "I was just helping Gabriel to the door."

My dad looked at me and laughed, "you're going to have a little nigger help you? You're pathetic." My blood boiled at what he called April, "don't talk to her like that." I looked at April and saw her standing there confused and then a flash of understanding went through her eyes.

She grabbed my bicep, "Gabriel, come stay with me." She looked up at me with pleading eyes, "please?" My dad chuckled, "look nigger, he doesn't want to stay with you! Now get the fuck out of here before I make you!"

April narrowed her eyes at my dad, "I'm not talking to you douchebag." My dad raised his hand and slapped April hard, "watch your mouth nigger! I warned you to leave and now I'm going to make you." April was on the ground with tears falling freely down her face. I crutched in front of him, "leave her alone!" He laughed and pushed me down. I landed painfully, "Gabriel!"

"April leave!"I yelled at her. I saw her hesitate before she ran towards me. I pushed her away, "I said leave! Go and don't call the cops, it'll make things worse. Now go before he hurts you!" I stuck my crutch out, as my dad tried to step towards her, making him fall to the ground.

April cried and got in her car and left. I watched in sorrow as my dad got up and kicked me in the face. Darkness swept over me and I couldn't help but feel at ease. April was safe.
•••

"Everything is going to be okay Gabriel", my mom said before disappearing.

I jolted and looked around the white hospital room. I saw April sitting next to me with tear filled eyes, "you're okay." I looked away from her and down at my leg. It was out of its cast, but my head was bandaged once again.

"Did you call the cops?", I asked. When she didn't answer I looked at her and saw her looking away. "I told you not to", I murmured. She frowned at me, "why the hell not? I wasn't going to let him kill you!" Getting angry I glared at her, "but you made everything worse April! I told you not to fucking call them and you did! Now he's going to get bailed out and then he's going to kill me" I yelled. "Do you not see what you have done?"

She wiped her tears and stood up, "then let me get my nigger ass out of here before I fuck something up again." She stormed out and slammed the door behind her, while I laid there with a clench jaw.

I was broken once again.
•••

I told the police that I didn't want to press charges. My father came home and didn't even look at me. He pretended I wasn't even there. I tried calling April, but she kept ignoring me. Getting irritated, I walked to her house. It took about an hour and a half until I made it to her street. When I arrived, I saw a familiar car in her driveway.

Todd.

I walked to the house and heard screaming.

It was April.

"APRIL!" I yelled. I ran in the house and followed her screams. I busted her door open and saw Todd on top of a crying April. I stalked to him and pulled him off of her. I slammed him to the wall and punched him repeatedly. He laid unconscious against the wall as I turned to April.

I was breathing heavily as I stared at a crying April. I walked to her and pulled her shorts back up. She flinched and then wrapped her arms around me. "Oh my god", she cried. My chest clenched at her sobs and a tear fell down my cheek as well. "It's going to be okay", I murmured in her ear.

A week later Todd was arrested for raping April. My dad was still avoiding me. April was still smiling and giggling.

I realized that April was never perfect. She laughed off everything, even when she was dying on the inside.

I also realized her laugher was slowly tearing her apart.