Chapter 17

When Valerie got dressed to meet with the Guild Masters, she was relieved that this time Kanti was there to provide her input.

"Just because I've changed on the outside doesn't mean I care about fashion all of a sudden," Kanti said defensively.

"You have got to relax. I'm asking because you've lived on the Globe your whole life. This is about me, not you," Valerie said, half teasing.

"Thanks for that refreshing dose of honesty," Kanti said, her lips quirking in a rare smile. But she seemed to snap out of her bad mood, and started searching through Valerie's closet. "The Globe government is different than what I remember about your government, where everyone dresses in suits and stuff. The Grand Masters are into creative expression, so you need to wear something that feels like you."

"Jeans and a T-shirt it is then," Valerie said.

"I think maybe a little nicer than that," Kanti said, and pulled out a dress from the back of the closet. It was simple and beautiful. Dulcea had sent it up when she first designed Valerie's half of the room, and though Valerie admired it, she couldn't imagine wearing something so nice.

Kanti saw the doubt on her face. "If there was ever a time to dress up, this would be it. I'm not putting you in a ball gown."

Valerie nodded and put the dress on. It was light blue and fell to her knees. She took out the elastic that held her hair in its usual braid and shook it loose.

"Wow," Kanti said. "If only Thai could see you now."

She turned away from the mirror quickly. "Done. Thanks, Kanti."

Her friend gave her a quick hug. "You're going to blow them all away, I know it."

"I don't care about that. I'm trying to find the spy, that's all."

"If you say so. But in the spirit of honesty, I think you were born to be Azra's successor."

Valerie shrugged so that Kanti would change the subject, but inside, she was touched.

At the Capitol, Azra escorted Valerie to a chamber in the center of the building where all the Grand Masters met.

I will introduce you to the group, and then there are a few matters up for a vote. Afterward, we'll join the Council for our meeting with Gabriel.

As they approached large double doors that were ornately decorated in a geometric gold design, Valerie's stomach clenched. But she steeled herself. This was no time to fall apart. She had a part to play, and people were counting on her.

Azra touched the doors with her horn, and they slowly swung open, revealing an enormous room filled with hundreds of bubbles. Inside each one was a Grand Master. The sight was chaotic and beautiful as the bubbles whizzed around the room and their opalescent colors flashed.

She barely had time to register the scene when she and Azra began to rise in a bubble of their own. It was perfectly steady, and from the inside, she could see that the surface of the bubble had words and pictures on it detailing different issues that were being discussed.

If you have any questions about who a certain Grand Master is or details about a bill that's being voted on, touch the edge of the bubble and think about your question. The answer will appear soon if it is available.

"How come some of the bubbles have more than one person inside?"

Whenever two people join in conversation their bubbles combine. And if you want to move around on your own, steer the bubble with your mind, and we will separate.