Chapter 4

"Get away from me!" Henry shouted. His fear was so palpable that Valerie could swear it was her own. Without meaning to, he had pulled her into his mind, as he had done many times before when Sanguina had frightened him over the years. But now, she knew that this connection and the magic that sustained it were draining her life.

"Henry, it's okay. Let me go and I'll come find you," she tried to send her thoughts to him, but her words weren't penetrating.

He ran blindly through the woods, and she saw the flickering light of the campfire through his eyes. But before he was close, he tripped over a tree root and landed on the ground. A shadow loomed over him.

"Not again, please. You can't touch me, you can't hurt me," Henry chanted to himself.

In the light of the moon, she saw the face of the man near him and relief washed over her. It was Chisisi.

"All you all right, young sir? Allow me to help you up."

"He's safe; he's a friend," she tried to communicate to her brother. Something of her relief or words must have come through, because abruptly his mind let hers go, and she was back in her own body.

Thai was cradling her, his eyes dilated with fear. "Come back, please, come back!"

"It's okay, I'm okay," she whispered. But it wasn't totally true. It was like she'd been hit by a truck, and she wasn't even sure if she could stand.

"Thank God," he said, hugging her close.

Henry and Chisisi stepped into the firelight. Behind them, a tall, dark stranger a few years older than Chisisi joined them as well. Henry raced to her side, panic-stricken. "I'm sorry! I didn't even know I did it until I calmed down. I could have killed you!"

"You didn't even come close. A little rest and I'll be fine."

"Ah, young ones. I am sorry to bring trouble with us. We had hoped to relieve you of it, not add to it," Chisisi said.

Thai and Chisisi clasped hands. "Can you help her?" Thai asked.

"I can," the strange man said. His eyes were serious, but Valerie saw the deep laugh lines in his cheeks and sensed that he was usually more lighthearted.

"This is Zaki, your benefactor when you visited Mena House in Egypt. He is here to assist us," Chisisi said.

Zaki knelt beside her and pulled out a greenish powder from a pouch at his side. "Put a bit on your tongue. Fair warning—it tastes like rotten eggs. I usually sprinkle it in Chisisi's food when he's being naughty, but in this case, I think it will give you back your strength," he said with a twinkle in his eye.

Chisisi smiled at his friend's joke, but it didn't reach his eyes. He patted Valerie's hand. It warmed her heart to see how much he cared. He nodded encouragingly as Zaki poured a bit of powder in her hand, and she quickly tossed it in her mouth. It tasted awful, but adrenaline coursed through her body. Her limbs were under her control again, and she was able to sit up.

"Is it magic?" she asked.

"No, just herbs," Zaki replied. "If I had magic, you can bet it'd taste a lot better."

"It will help you regain your energy more quickly, but it is not a cure," Chisisi added.

She nodded. Her limbs were still heavy from the physical and mental toll that the magic had taken on her. It was both frustrating and frightening to be so weak and dependent.

"I'm so sorry," Henry said. "I just went for a walk—I wanted to prove to myself that there was nothing to be afraid of out there anymore. But instead, I did just the opposite. I was stupid."