Chapter One ~ A Great Partner

One o'clock in the morning. Almost witching hour, for some, but it is the start of a new opportunity for those working the late shift at the HOLOMAKER factory. Lucky souls from both over and underground are welcome to join the force that brings products like Saber Toys, Racecars, and even ModMedical to life!

This was what the brochure had said for this dead-end, but decent-paying job.

The supervisor for final shift gathered the new monsters and humans onto the factory floor as yourself and a few others were lined up, waiting to be grouped. "Each one of you will have a trainer for the next couple weeks." He said, his voice deep and harsh from decades of tobacco abuse. "Some of you will have a perm-partner; That partner and yourself will be in charge of certain criteria on the floor. Some of ya will be handling machinery, and some of ya will be preparing products for shipment. Over there are some masks, earplugs, and your tool starter pack. Get yourselves suited and I'll call you over to your trainers and partners."

You watched as they all grabbed their kits, and noticed the skeleton putting on the mask and putting the earplugs in the holes that would have been his ears. You couldn't help but smirk, but everyone else was, as usual, too busy to notice something silly like that.

Tough crowd.

"Alright, Vulkins, you're with Sam and Freddy on plastic injection and heating." The man pointed to a pair of humans, smiling politely, in a row of workers. "You two froggits are with Mikey, you three with Lin. Vallerie Hill and Spencer Douglas, you're with me, I'm Bill. Sans, you're with Kil- uh... Kalia."

This is bullshit. You thought to yourself. Stuck with a newbie, and of all the monsters, I get the skeleton.

Sans perked up and looked around to see which human were left. You approached him, a female a foot taller than him, with long, (y/c) hair that was wrapped carelessly into a bun. You were slender, but your hips and chest were a little more curvaceous, and poorly hidden under a baggy sweatshirt and work pants. You held out a gloved hand, but didn't smile.

"They're making us partners, I guess." You said while shaking his hand firmly. "I don't see why I'd need a partner," You looked over at Bill and said loudly, "considering I get all my work done on time."

"You know why you're getting a goddamn partner, Killer." He laughed at your dark glare. "Ah, get to work!"

You looked at Sans, then nodded to the left and started to walk in that direction. He noticed people catching a glimpse at you, and some of them seemed smug. One man stood on a bench and shouted "watch out!" then retreated back to his work when you turned your head his way. You paid them no mind, really. You saw this coming, even if it was a pain in your ass.

They reached the far rear of the factory, where stacks of boxes sat on pallets on the floor and on labelled shelves. On the wall to the left of the doorway were clipboards with different company names and order forms. You grabbed one and started flipping through it while walking toward the third aisle of boxes.

"So, Killer," Sans caught an aggravated look that struggled to hide on your face, "what's our job here?"

"My job is to bring the necessary orders to the trucks for delivery at nine." You said passively. "Your job is to watch, then move boxes, then fill forms. At least, that's what they want you to do. Honestly, you can do whatever you want back here, so long as you don't get in my way."

"Is that the reason for your nickname? Someone get in your way?"

"Friends get nicknames. I have no friends, so that's Kalia to you."

"Welp. I guess I'll stay out of your way, then?"

"Good; you're already learning."

He stood at the far end and watched you use a forklift to move boxes from shelves both low and high with mechanical grace. After signing off on the fourth clipboard, you hung it back into place, grabbed the next one on the left, and turned to your trainee.

"Lunch time."

Your face softened at how his face brightened up when you said this, and led him to the second floor, where a hallway littered with different company's vending machines brought you to a large, botanical room with a small glass dome in the center. A small handful of monsters and humans sat at round bench-tables scattered along the room, and to the left were a small snack buffet next to an empty cafeteria.

"They really spoil the workers, huh?" Sans said, sounding excited.

"This company makes plenty of money, so they reward us when they can." You responded, picking a table near the door and sitting down. "Go nuts, new guy. I'll be here, but you can sit where you like and make friends, whatever."

As you had expected, Sans returned with a tray of food and sat across from you.

"You pack your own lunch?" He asked.

"Hm?" You glanced up from the paperwork then started writing again. "Oh, I don't eat here."

"You don't eat in the cafeteria?"

"I don't eat here at all. In the factory. I wait until I get home, or I stop somewhere." You flicked the pen around your fingers for a while, then set it down and looked up at Sans.

"So you're from the underground."

"Yep. Like the rest of the monsters."

"I heard of a place called 'Hotland', where the source of magical energy is."

"Yeah. It's pretty hot."

"Your application said you have some magic, right?" You asked, your tone curious.

"Uh, yeah." He shrugged. "Just a little."

"Levitation? Fire? Telekinesis?"

"It depends on my strength, mostly. I try not to use it."

"Hm." You stared off for a moment, then looked back down at your chart. "This last order is huge, but I can't put you on a forklift until you're trained... I don't know if we'll finish, unless you can move the boxes with magic."

"You can do that?"

You shrugged. "Maybe. There's nothing in the personnel manual that says magic is a no-go."

"You looked into it already, huh?"

"I like to plan ahead."

"You seem really dedicated to the job."

"You could say I'm vigilant, yeah."

"Wow. Is that why they call you 'Killer'?"

"Ugh! No!" You groaned. "For fuck's sake, kid. Stop asking."

"I'll figure it out eventually." He winked at you. "Unless you get so annoyed you end up telling me."

This guy. You were quiet for a moment, then a small smirk creeped up on the left corner of your lips.

"You'll have to do better than that, bonehead."

He blinked, startled, then his grin got wide.

"I guess I'll have tibia little more persistent, then."

You chortled quietly behind your hand, making him chuckle as he grabbed the first item off his plate. You focused your attention back to the papers in front of you. They sat for a while in peaceful silence, save the murmur of the other workers around them, until a soft beeping woke you from your working trance and you pulled your glove back a few inches to turn off your watch.

"That's the ten minute mark." You said, gathering your paperwork. "No rush, Sans. Just get your fill and then it's back to the grind."

"Huh? Oh. Y-yeah, sure."

He continued eating, though now he seemed occupied by something. You shrugged it off and spent the last few minutes to relax, staring up at the city-lit sky through the glass in the ceiling.