Prologue

Owen

Every rose has its thorns, just like the almost perfect life I have now. I'm finally free from the fear of going to school and getting a punch in the guts for some ridiculous reasons, but the price of it was to get pricked by the truth I have been hiding for months.

I can't do this anymore. It has been a year and it's still haunting me. I need to confess. I don't care if it means not being able to face anyone I know after that, I don't give a damn about it anymore.

Two headlights were shining behind my car and I looked up to find a blue Audi closing into mine. The lights from it were making it hard to see the person behind the wheels, but the shape of it seemed familiar. I narrowed my eyes and took another look at the rearview mirror.

Shit!  Why was he following me? Did he know about my plan? He was supposed to be fast asleep right now. I made sure that he was sleeping for at least an hour before I came out. How did he know?

The two headlights were changing from low beam to high beam back and forth, signalling me to pull over, but I ignored it. I can't let him stop me this time. What we did was horrible, we weren't even supposed to do that in the first place. I should have stopped him before it was too late. I shouldn't have joined him instead.

The beeping sound of a car's horn was blaring from the blue sedan continuously. I pushed the gas pedal harder to lose him, squinting my eyes as I tried to concentrate on the road in front of me instead of the increasingly irritating honking sound and the two headlights that had remained at high beam for the past minute.

Come on! How far away is the nearest police station? Why did I even suggested staying back with him instead of going home with the rest of the class? Screw the beautiful views of the ocean and finding a potential girlfriend, I would have reached the police station by now if I were at home eating chips instead.

I gave another push at the gas pedal and made a bigger distance between us, leaving the bright lights further behind and finally allowing a bit of comfort back to my eyes. The road ahead was as straight as an arrow and no cars were in sight, it wouldn't do any harm to just close my eyes for a few seconds, right?

The first thing I saw after opening my eyes was a shadow darting across the road directly in front of me. My grip on the steering wheels tightened themselves as they turned it to the side while my feet was pressing the brake pedal down, trying to avoid hitting the deer that appeared from nowhere. My breathing heaved as I braced myself for my car to crash straight into the stout tree truck on the side of the highway.

____________________________________________

Thank you so much for the picture, RonIyrse.

Remember to check out her poems. They're really beautiful! <3