Chapter 3

Nothing was more tedious than sitting watch at night, staring out a window to watch for strangers. Every time, my eyes trailed down the log series of cracks in the dirty glass, over and over again to keep myself entertained.

Minute by minute, second by second I became more drowsy.

It wasn't until I heard a small sigh followed by a sniffle that I became alert. My head turned in the direction of the sound to she Caiden shifting around in his sleep, tossing a blanket off of him in the process.

I then stood up, quietly crawling my way over to where he was laying on the floor. Unexpectedly, CJ turned to face me, his brown eyes wide open.

"What aren't you asleep, bud?" I asked, brushing his hair from his face.

"Because I can't sleep," he replied, sitting up. "They're keeping me awake."

Without Caiden having to tell me, I knew who they were, and I turned my attention to them. I had tuned out the walkers that were pounding at the walls and door that led into the office room we were living in. My arms wrapped around my sons small body, pulling him to me.

"Don't worry. They won't get in, CJ." I gently ran my fingers through his soft hair, watching the door with an intense stare. "I know it's hard, but try to get some sleep. Just pretend that we're camping."

Caiden pulled away from my hug to look up at me. "If we're camping then where's the tents?"

"That's why I said pretend, silly." I gave him as much of a small smile as I could, tapping his nose with my finger. "Let's get you wrapped up, it's freezing." He nodded and laid down, letting me wrap a blanket around him before kissing his forehead. "I love you, CJ."

"I love you too, mom," he whispered with a yawn, already becoming tired.

•°•°•°•°•

"You're not going on your run today, Emmie," Steven said, unzipping his bag. "It's too dangerous with all this walkers in the hallway. We'll make due with what we have."

I glanced over at Emmie to see a look of protest before she realized that there was no point in arguing. Emmie simply gave a small nod.

Steven rolled a single can across the floor to where I was crouching. Slowly, I gripped onto the can and placed it upright on the ground with a quiet sigh. Steven must've heard, for he came over and sat down by the wall next to me.

"You okay?" He asked, looking at me, but I did not look back.

"I guess...." Now, I made eye contact. "I'm just tired of having to live like this." Steven's arm looped around my shoulder pulling me to him.

Silence filled the room until Emmie let out an annoyed groan. She then stood up, coming over to Steven and I. I lifted my head from my husbands shoulder as she said, "I can't get it open."

Emmie held out the single can and a can opener. Steven took it and began to work at opening the can while I motioned for Emmie to sit down next to me.

She quickly did so. "I want to go home," she whispered to me.

"Me too."

We hadn't been home since the day everyone in Atlanta was evacuated. Every day I said the exact same thing to myself, just like Emmie.

Suddenly, Cleo squealed out. "Momma, daddy, look!" Out of instinct, Steven and I jumped up, running over to where Cleo was standing at the window. There, standing outside, was a deer. It was so peaceful as it stood outside, eating mouthfuls of grass.

Cleo stared at the deer in complete awe, a wide smile spread across her face. Emmie raised her rifle from behind Cleo, beginning to bring it up to her eye when Steven put his hand on the rifle, lowering it while shaking his head 'no'.

•°•°•°•°•

Even after the deer left the windows view, Cleo stood, waiting for it to come back.

"Cleo honey, I don't think the deer is coming back," I said, trying to draw her away from the window. "It probably had to go back to it's family."

Cleo sighed, looking down at the ground.

"Lauren," Steven whispered in my ear, coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist. "Are you hungry? You can have my portion of the food if you want."

"No, you eat it," I replied. "But thanks, Steve."

I turned to face him, looping my arms around his neck. "I love you."

Steven let out a snort and joked, "Of course you do." I couldn't help but laugh before connecting our lips with a simple, yet loving kiss on the lips. "I love you too, babe."

After smiling at each other for a moment, I pulled away and turned around to find the area by the window empty.

"Cleo?" I asked, looking around for my daughter. "Cleo?"

I frantically rushed over to the window where Cleo had been previously standing. Then, my eyes widened and my jaw dropped at the sight in front of me.

All I could do was stare in shock, not wanting to believe my eyes. It took everything in my to choke out with a scream, "CLEO!"

A/N
Chapter question: What do you think happened to Cleo?!

I'm so sorry for such a boring and short chapter after not updating for so long. My sickness has been getting even worse lately and the other day something really, really, really horribly terrible happened and it's made me even more emotionally scarred than before. But anyways I'm really really sorry for not updating and I would really love to see what you guys think happened to Cleo!

Chapter shoutout in the next chapter for someone who answers the chapter question!