Chapter One

Maria entered the house with a loud slam of the front door behind her. Oh, she hadn't slammed the door, the wind had.

It was pouring. A loud crack of thunder that shook the house accompanied a flash of lightning that raced across the black sky.

All at once, the lights in the house shut off. A power outage.

Maria actually thanked God - or was it Satan? She needed the  blackness to help her sneak to her room. Maybe her two housemates hadn't heard the door slam. She quietly removed her soaking coat, revealing her drenched form. After hanging the coat quietly, she started sneaking for the stairs, wincing as each footstep made a squelch sound on the floor. She had just made it to the steps when-

"Maria."

She froze, then turned around with a sheepish grin. "Yes?"

Sebastian and Ciel stood side by side behind her, Sebastian holding a candle even though he could probably see perfectly well in the dark. They probably all did, actually. Now that she was thinking about it, she could see her way perfectly in the dark.

Crap, I forgot about the nocturnal stuff. So much for the cover of the dark. Damn.

Another flash of lightning ripped through the night sky, illuminating her standoff with the two males.

"Where were you, this late at night?" Ciel began the questioning. Maria knew she was a shitty liar, but she tried anyway.

"I was... Out for a walk?"

"In this weather?" Sebastian raised an eyebrow.

"Uh... Yes, I was scoping out a new assignment." Maria was still an assassin, but she hadn't received any requests in a while. She had the sneaking suspicion Sebastian was taking care of them for her.

"And what about the hour? It's late, Maria." Ciel's icy tone told her she wasn't off the hook yet.

She dodged the question. "I told you, I had business to take care of. Now if you would excuse me, I wish to retire to my room. I'm very-" she faked a yawn, "-sleepy."

She turned and put her foot on the stairs before Sebastian's amused voice stopped her.

"Maria dear, we don't usually have the need to sleep."

"I've always been an oddity, why not be a sleeping demon?" She responded, going up two more stairs.

"Maria-" Ciel started.

"What!" Maria spun around on the stairs, her sopping wet hair and dress flinging water droplets around.

Suddenly, a tiny meow emerged from Maria's chest. Her eyes widened, the sudden movement must have startled her little package.

"What was that." Ciel muttered, already dreading her answer.

Sebastian crossed the room and was at the bottom of the stairs in an instant, reaching for the demon female before swinging her down the few stairs she had climbed and setting her back on ground level.

He held out his hand, his eyes never once leaving hers.

Maria reached down the front of her dress, still maintaining eye contact with Sebastian and ignoring Ciel's sputtering protests of how inappropriate she was being and pulled out a tiny lump of black fur. The kitten meowed again, louder this time, making its own protest to being taken out of the warmth it had previously been sleeping in.

Sebastian's eyes widened, and she knew that she had just lost to a cat.

He picked it up swiftly and did a full examination on the poor thing.