Arbor

I wake up because of the alarm clock that is going haywire. I reach over and shut it of off with one hit.

I pause mid air and I realize that it's late. I look at my clock again to see that it's seven in the morning.

"Shit!" I mutter and get out of bed and walk over to my dresser.

I bend down and get some underwear, socks, jeans and a white sweater and red leather jacket. I throw them on quickly and rush to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

Once I've got my makeup on and my hair is under control, I put on my boots and am out the door and to my car.

While driving, I throw on a beanie. Since it's now November, the air is so cold, my face is red from running from my apartment to the car.

*********

I pull up to the district and get out of my car.

"Arbor?" Kim's voice makes me jump some.

I turn around to see her walking towards me. "Hey Burgess." I say with a smile.

"So you're back?" She asks in statement for as she shoves her hands into her pockets.

"That's if Voight hasn't fired me yet." I sigh as we make our way to the district.

"Erin didn't show up for a month and she still got her job back. I'm sure you're fine." She smiles at me reassuringly and opens the door for me.

"Thanks." I nod at her as I walk inside.

With trembling hands, I put my hand under the scanner and am let into the upstairs unit. At least that's good, they haven't taken me out of the system.

I inhale a deep breath as I make my way up the steps into Intelligence. Thank God the boots I have on today don't have heels, so they don't click as I walk across the floor towards Voight's office.

I notice that everyone watches me as I go. My eyes lock with Antonio's and he automatically recoils from the contact. He's obviously pissed at me still. I mean, who just kisses their partner then tells them to leave?

The truth is that I didn't want Antonio to go, but I knew if anything had happened last night, getting things back to the way I need them here would've been damn near impossible.

I'm finally at Voight's door and knock.

"Come in." I hear his husky voice say faintly like it's no big deal. Probably because he doesn't know that it's me knocking.

I open the door and step through the threshold.

"What do you want?" He asks in a cold, bone-chilling voice.

"Can I sit?" I ask, avoiding the question carefully.

He sits back and folds his hands together. "Why should I let you? You tried to knock me on my ass, told me to fuck myself then stormed off and missed a week of work without telling anyone what's going on? Please tell me why I should let you sit?"

"Because you're my father." I blurt out without thinking than immediately regret it.

Voight's lips go into a flat line. "Fine. You wanna play the daddy card? Sit." He says in a way that frightens me.

I sit down slowly. "Sir," I begin. "I know how wrong of me it was to just storm off like I did, but please try to understand that I was in shock. I didn't control myself all, but I love my job and want to do everything I can to keep it."

"So you're done with the back talk, shoving, swearing in my face and storming off?" He asks me quietly.

I nod obediently.

"Good. As long as you follow orders and don't mouth back at me, you can keep your job." He tells me and stands up. "Go back to your desk."

I nod a swift nod then open the door and walk straight back to my desk. But first, I stop at the one across from mine, Antonio's.

"Hey." I say softly, but he doesn't look up. "Listen, I know you're mad and frustrated with me right now. My head is a thousand places at a time. I just need to get everything in order before anything happens with us." I pause, hoping he'll say something. But he doesn't. "Fine, Dawson." I huff. "Can I just please have my star back?" I ask, hoping he still has my badge.

He opens a draw, pulls out my badge and slams it on his desk without looking up at me. I jump at the loudness of it smashing on the hard surface of his desk, but I take it quickly and walk back to my desk.

I sit down and Voight comes out of his office.

"We just got report of a school shooting at The University of Chicago." He says as he walks towards the exit. "He's still active so let's get down there and put this son of a bitch down!" He yells and we all get up and follow him.

I walk to catch up to Antonio, who's barreling away from me. We get to the car when he says, "Lindsay, ride with me. Halstead, you can take Alexander with you."

Ouch. He doesn't even want to ride in a car with me?

Erin shrugs and gets in car Antonio is driving. I walk right past in and get in a cruiser with Jay. We have to listen to him since he's second in command.

"So Arbor's back?" Jay asks happily as he pulls his seatbelt on.

I shrug. "Yeah. I am. Now to get Antonio back on my good side."

"What happened?" Jay asks as he peals out of the parking lot.

I sigh. "I kissed him last night then told him to leave. I kinda did a 360 and made him go into a tail spin. He's just pissy about it I guess."

"I'm sure he'll get over it." Jay states calmly. "But how was it?" He asks with a smirk.

I roll my eyes. "How about you just drive?" I tell him with a grin.

"That good?" He asks, trying to get something from me.

"That good." I agree with a nod.

We get to the scene and suit up. I follow Jay and we meet up with the rest of the team.

I get ready to follow them in when Voight speaks.

"Alexander," he says. "We need you out here, so keep cool and stay outside." He smirks.

"You don't want me to come in?" I ask, baffled.

"Baby steps." He says smartly then turns and goes towards the building the shooter is in.

I roll my eyes and shake my head in frustration as I turn around and walk back to where the other officers are.

God. Voight is such an asshole!