Chapter Four

"You know you're my saving grace, you're everything I need and more, it's written all over your face," - Beyonce, Halo

Chapter Four - Business 

- Nina's POV - 

Four Days Later

Masses of people begin to leave the church; all of them in silence. Including me. I haven't spoken one word. I'm sad and even more, I'm confused. I don't know how I am supposed to go on without someone by my side. I just don't see how this happened to me. What did I do to deserve this?

The funeral service was beautiful and while I was trying to hold in my tears, I knew that I had to keep it together, for them. I was dazed out half of the time, trying understand and cope with how my life is going to be from this moment forward. 

My thoughts are overwhelming me, saying one thing after another in a rapid pace. I honestly don't know if I can keep up with them and everything my subconscious is saying. It's terrifying and perplexing. I've been without them for almost a week, but it feels like I was just talking to them yesterday. 

"Nina, dear," I jump out of my thoughts when all of a sudden, Nate's mother, Rachelle, appears in front of me. Her eyes carry a worried storm as she looks at me. 

"Yes?" I say quietly, my voice slightly cracking from it's dryness. 

"We would love for you to come back to our home, just for the day. I understand this is a tough time, but it would help if you were around people who loved you," she says sweetly and I give her the best smile I can muster. 

I glance over to my right, where I see Nate talking with his father. Although, Nate doesn't seem too interested as I notice his eyes are looking at me every so often. 

"That would be nice, but my father's attorney is coming to read my parent's will in awhile," I say slowly, "I should be there, with my aunt and uncle," I explain to her and she nods understandingly, but her eyes flash with disappointment. 

"I understand darling," she smiles a little, "Why don't you come afterwards, we'll have dinner. Get your mind off of everything," she suggests persistently. If there is one thing I couldn't stand about Nate's mother, is how stubborn and assertive she is. More so than my mother was.

"Okay, that sounds good," I nod once and his mother smiles widely, but I myself, do not have the energy to do that. I mean, for the past four days, I go to bed crying and I wake up crying when I realize that they aren't here with me anymore. So, I think I should have a pass on smiling for now. 

His mother walks away from me and suddenly, I watch as Nate strides over to me in a few steps. 

"Hey, you okay?" he asks, pulling me into him, he places a gentle kiss on my head. 

"I'm getting there," I answer genuinely, looking up to meet his blue eyes. Just like his mothers', he is worried, but they sit softer and more gentle.