Chapter 21 - Moments like these

Start from the beginning

- Why don't you end this? It's obviously breaking you. - Camila said.

- Because this is the only way. We don't want to get even more hurt if he has to go to the US. It will be worse if, by then, we have a serious relationship. He is just trying to protect both of us. - I reasoned with them.

- Yes, we know. It just pains us to see our best friend walking around with a broken smile and a shattered heart... Wow, that sounded poetic. - Fran joked and we giggled.

- Thank you, girls, for always supporting me and being there.

We had a group hug, but it was interrupted by a phone call.

- It's mine. - I said, running to get the phone. - Hello?

- Vilu.

- Yes, dad, tell me.

- Darling, tonight I won't be home before 1 pm. I'm sorry. - He said, in an upset tone.

- What? Why that late? - I asked, extremely shocked.

- It's an important meeting, sweetie.

- Ok, but be safe, yes?

- Yes, Violetta. I love you. - He said.

- Ok. Bye! I love you too, daddy. - I replied, right before I hung up the phone.

I kept my phone on my bag and put in around my shoulder.

- Are you already going? - Fran asked me.

- Yes. My dad won't be home, I'll see if Olga is there. If not, I'll just order something. - I answered, adjusting the bag to my chest.

- Ok honey! Bye!

*******

I reached home and, I didn't know exactly why, I was crazy to see León. I had been thinking about him all the time from since I had left Fran's house until then.

When I opened the door, my heart froze. He stood still, without looking at me, there was a phone on his hand and tears on his face. It was the time. That was the time when everything changed. That was the moment I knew. My reality was about to change. I had been saving my tears for that precise moment. So I used them. I used them and he finally reacted to my presence, running to me and swallowing me into a deep hug. We both cried for a few minutes, we were sharing pain, and that was an awful thing to be shared.

- Don't go. - I managed to say, between all that cry.

- You know I have to go, princess. - He responded, instants after.

He unwrapped his arms from me and put his hands on my face and stroked it with his thumbs. His eyes were looking into mine and time stopped for a while. Although, soon I came back to reality.

- When are you going? - I asked, sobbing.

- Tomorrow night.

When he said those two painful words, I closed my eyes. One day. One miserable day left. But, then, I reasoned.

- You know what? I'm glad I still have the chance to be with you for a little while and say a proper goodbye. - I made an effort to smile.

- Yes, I'm glad about that too. - He smiled at the ground.

- Let's enjoy tonight. We'll get our pajamas on, we'll order some pizza and watch a movie together. My dad will come later. - I suggested in an outburst of positivity.

- Great idea.

We both went upstairs and ten minutes later we were ready. We agreed on the pizzas and I made the call. In the meantime, we chose the movie and chatted in the kitchen.