Chapter 10

The morning gong rang loudly I roll over to see Thomas waking up he smiles "morning slept well" I nod he sits up "that's good I knew you would , I best get going before people wake", he kisses my cheek and moves from the bed and out the door I lie back down and take a deep breath in the smell of him which still lingers in the room I can't bring myself to move but I'm going to have to. I get out of the warm bed and get dressed into my work clothes I pin my long strawberry hair into a bun and walk out my room to be met with Mrs Patmore.

"Good morning Lilian" I smile I hope she doesn't bring up last night, in fact I hope nobody does.

"Good morning" I follow her to the staircase I go up as she goes down.

"Aren't you having breakfast" she asks.

"No I'll have some later when lady Edith comes down for hers" she nods.

"Very Lillian I'll save you some" Mrs Patmore is so kind and full of advice like Mrs Hughes, they are both like mother figures.

"Thank you" as I walk up the last set of stairs I see Thomas he smiles as I get to the top he looks back at the door and down the stairs then back at me

"Sorry about not staying with you this morning but I didn't want to risk Mr Carson checking my room"  he leans against the banister then moves "I've been thinking about asking " my eyes go wide

"Don't".

"Lilly you didn't let me finish" the door opens and there stood Mr Carson

"Lilian shouldn't you be getting Lady Edith up"

"Yes Mr Carson" I give Thomas a look as I walk away

"Mr Barrow weren't you suppose to be getting the cutlery"

"Yes Mr Carson" he answers just before the door closed I really hope he doesn't tell him not until I have spoken to Mrs Hughes anyway please don't say a word Thomas I think to myself as I make my way to Lady Edith's room.

I knock on the door "my lady" I open the door a little more she wasn't there I wave of panic washes over me what do I do I walk into her room and see a letter on the bed dear mama and father it said in fancy writing I pick it up and walk to the nursery I hear laughter I knock and Agnes comes to the door.

"Mrs Barker is everything alright you look worried"

"Is lady marigold here"

"No Mrs Lady Edith took her this morning after breakfast"

"How was Henry" she smiles

"Come in and see for yourself" I follow Agnes I peer around the door to see Henry colouring with George and Sibby and the other nurse he looks so happy "he slept well last night, he's a good little Lad"

"Thank you, I must go" I walk out the room, my little boy doesn't need me anymore I bit my lip to stop myself from crying  I walk down the grand staircase to see Thomas his eyes meet mine.

"Lilly what's wrong" he walks over to me as reach the bottom step.

"Lady Edith and marigold are gone" his eyes go wide I hear the breakfast room door close.

"Mr Carson" Thomas says, Thomas takes the letter from my hand

"Mrs Barker" he gives me a look "found this in lady Edith's room"

"Thank you Mr Barrow I'll show the family" he walks away and Thomas grabs my arm pulling me into a alcove.

"I wasn't asking what was in your hand I was asking what's wrong"

"Nothing" I go to walk away but he grabs my arm

"You can't lie Lilly what's wrong"

"Henry slept well last night, he doesn't need me anymore" I begin to cry he wipes my tear away with his thumb.

"He will always need you, I will stay with you again tonight,"

"You can't Thomas"

"Nobody found out last night" that's true "did they" I shake my head "don't worry"'I sigh

"Alright just once more I'll have to try and sleep in the room on my own"  he kisses my check .

"Before you stop me again I would like to tell you what I was going to say I was thinking about asking Mrs Hughes if it would be alright to take the afternoon off  to spend sometime with Henry I would like to get to know my...son even if he doesn't know I'm his father.

"Thank you Thomas, it means a lot to me and I'm sure Henry will also" Mosley walks past us

"Make sure that you Lady Edith's room is clean" as soon as he walks away he whispers "I'll see you later at Lunchin" .