Chapter Nine || Charlotte

January is usually a fun month in Charlie's family as it was New Year's, Charlie's birthday, and her grandparents' anniversary. But this year was different as her dad was back in Seattle for work yet again, and her mother was spending more time with Grandmother. So instead of sitting around wondering if her parents were going to be here for her birthday, Charlie was at the long white table below her window, trying to get ready for a job interview.

Charlie tapped the end of her brush on the edge of her makeup table, trying to figure out whether bronzer was needed. The light spilling from her window didn't help since it bounced off her mirror, hitting her in the eyes. With an annoyed sigh, Charlie adjusted the mirror and went back to thinking about bronzer.

"What are you doing?" Keira asked from the doorway.

"Trying to figure out if I need bronzer." Charlie glared at her reflection. "Is bronzer too much for a job interview?"

"When the job is waitressing? Probably." Keira's footsteps were soft as she moved to Charlie. "Anyway, I won't be home for dinner. Ethan's taking me out for our anniversary."

"That's sweet." The doorbell rang, and both girls looked towards the front of the house. "That must be Aiden and Matt."

"I'll let them in." Kiera disappeared downstairs, and Charlie heard her voice drift up as she greeted the boys.

Charlie snapped her bronzer shut and began putting her makeup away. She turned when she heard footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Charlie!" Aiden swaggered into the room with Matt following him. "I have a question for you."

"What?"

"When's your birthday?" He asked. "I can't embarrass you if I don't know."

"He doesn't know when your B-D-A-Y is?" Matt quirked an eyebrow.

Charlie shook her head looked around the table for her phone. When she came up empty, Charlie moved to the nightstand on this side of her bed as she tried to remember where she last saw it. "Do you see my phone?"

"No, anyway, when's your birthday?" Charlie rolled her eyes but could hear the boys moving around.

"Not yesterday or today." She double-checked the stand's drawers just in case she overlooked something. Leave no stone unturned and all that.

"Matt found your phone."

"Okay, that- don't unlock my phone!" Charlie darted around her bed and Aiden to get to Matt, who was leaning against her dresser, clearly trying- and failing- to get into her phone. "Matthew!"

Matt looked up as Charlie grabbed his arm, stole her phone back, and shoved him a little harder than planned. He stumbled but grabbed the edge of her bed, slidding down to sit on the floor after giving the two a thumbs up. Aiden laughed and leaned over Charlie's shoulder right after she finished typing her passcode.

"So your-"

"The twelfth, Monday." She scrolled through her email inbox until she found the email from her possible new boss, Lisa Reynolds. "You could've asked Matt."

"You're right, Matt, why didn't-" Aiden cut himself off, so Charlie followed his gaze. Matt was still on his back, but now his knees were on his chest, and he seemed to be clawing the air, all while making weird faces. "Matt buddy, what are you doing?"

Matt froze when Aiden spoke and looked at them. He stared for a few moments before getting up and grabbing his camera off Charlie's desk. He didn't bother trying to explain what he was doing.

"You bought your camera?" Charlie double checked the diner's address as it's been months since she was last there. "Gonna wander around while I do my interview?"