A Friend Like You

Description

Charlotte Lawrence and Matthew Carter are sophomores at Oak View High School, but they rarely interact beyond their one shared class. That is until their school's century-old tradition, The Attractive List, is released, and their lives are unexpectedly changed.

#####

At fifteen, Charlotte doesn't want much other than to watch Netflix and avoid her mother. She taught she would fly under the radar like she did the previous year, but that goes out the window when she gets listed as the ugliest girl in school. With things in turmoil, Charlotte clings to the one thing she has- her grades. When she begins to struggle in her English class, she decides to ask a classmate to tutor her.

Although he grew up here, Matthew Carter's family is not from Oak View, Virginia, and the whole Attraive List thing is ridiculous and stupid. He's okay with his time in high school, being only studying for classes, reading books, and hanging out with his best friend, Aiden. Yet he agrees to tutor his classmate Charlotte and becomes her friend.

As the months pass and they grow closer, events outside of their control begin to creep in and set their friendship on a track they won't see coming.

Content Warning

Mentions of harm to a child/someone nearly gets slapped by their mom 

Some bullying

Kissing

A half line of bigotry?