The pair did not dare to make a single movement—afraid that the Predator might deem it unnecessary without warning.

It was a long note of silence, and Io could not hold his breath any longer.

The sparrow took a cautious step back—

The vulture screeched;

A horrendous sound that pierced courage and hope alive.

Its wings spread wide—

Huge; almost a cloak of darkness as a sign of intimidation.

The pair jumped in shock, recoiling instinctively as their Avians scattered.

The bearded vulture's jaw-dropping wingspan folded once again—hiding its weapons of fear.

It shifted on the branch of the tree, showing the small letter bag that was slung across its neck. One eye stayed on the pair, watching their movements.

Pipa glanced sideways at her friend, eyes brimming, slightly confused. She didn't dare make another move.

Io swallowed his fear—taking a step forward without a tear.

He approached the small letter bag, arms reaching above his head to unbuckle the strap. Io looked time and again at the bearded vulture, wary of any sign of aggression.

But the vulture only watched; eyes now on the boy instead of the girl.

The sparrow couldn't see what was inside the bag—it was way above his height. But despite the trembling fingers, or the fact that anything could be inside the compartment, he reached in gingerly.

He had no choice, really.

Cautious fingers felt the edges of smooth paper.

The identification of the material gave the small frame a certain relief that coursed through his veins, propelling will into action.

He pushed fear to the back of his mind.

Io took out the first thing he touched—

It was an envelope; sealed with the school stamp in blood-red wax.

Exchanging glances was no longer an uncommon thing between the two. For confusion and uncertainty of the unknown filled the majority of Preys' emotions, and that itself was gradually taken for granted—

Fear.

Till the point that they could ignore it.

"Um," Io started with a gulp. He didn't know what to say. The envelope felt like skin underneath his touch-alive but horrendously disgusting. The sparrow didn't want to open it.