“Whoa,” Luke went up closer to the glass.  When he turned a bit to get an even better view, his bag hit the pillar and his water bottle fell out.  The hard plastic made a large crack sound as it hit the ground.  Luke jumped and so did Renee.  Her eyes flew open in shock.  She turned to face him, but he was already hiding behind the pillar.  Luke listened as the music turned off and saw the lights go out as well.  He stayed in his hiding spot.  Not too long after, he could hear footsteps coming his way.  He moved to the other side of the pillar. 

            Renee came walking around the corner with a pair of sweatpants on her bottom half, her leotard on the top.  She had a bag thrown over her shoulder and her ipod in her ears.  She was singing lightly to herself, but broke off to take a sip from her water bottle.  She exited the gym building with her head bobbing.  Luke let out a breath once she was a ways down the path. 

            Luke went back to his stretches as the memory of what he had just witnessed played over in his mind.  Wow, that girl was talented.  Hadn’t she told him that she wasn’t in any sports?  She had lied, what else had she lied about?

            It was three now.  School had finished at two-twenty.  I had gone through the day with the same glances from Payne, and some ridicule for how much trouble I could have been in due to what happened to his arm.  Fortunately, he had told the nurse that he had fallen over on his own accord, and then he had gotten almost twenty stitches.  I could say that I felt bad for him, but that would be a lie.  That creeper probably deserved it.  Now I was at ‘Hairs and Style’ a small shop in downtown New Germany.  I was going to start on my new look, and hair would be the biggest thing.  I would deal with clothes later.

            “So, tell me what you needed…again?” The lady behind the desk asked.  I rolled my eyes at her.

            “I need you,” I pointed to her, “to hack off all of this,” grabbed my hair, “so I can look like a boy.  Do you think I would look good brown?”

            “Paul,” the girl called.  Her voice was shaky as her eyes stayed on me.  Was it that hard to understand?

            “Yes Staci?” A tall blonde guy asked as he came out from one of the back cubicles.  He was wearing black pants, a white shirt, and a pink tie.  His hair had a handful of expertly placed low lights.  “Oh,” he said in a rather soft voice, “who’s this young beauty?  Wow, your hair is absolutely beautiful.” He grabbed a piece of it and started to observe.  I could feel myself blushing.

            “So,” he started, “need a trim?”

            “Actually,” I grabbed his hand to get his attention on my eyes and not my hair.  “I need you to help me become a brunette guy.”

            “Oh…girlfriend wants you to.  I get it.”

            “No!” I answered quickly.  “It’s for ah…a…documentary.  I am going to live as a guy and document the different ways that people interact and treat me compared to when I am a girl.” See, maybe I could lie.