06 | Now Trending

Start from the beginning

"Whatever, freak. Why don't you go back to your...your pig sty!" she screeched, turning around and stalking off. The crowd dispersed quickly afterwards, and I stiffened when a hand hesitantly tapped my shoulder. I glanced to the side to see that the hand belonged to Yuko.

"I have to take Reiko back. Will you be alright by yourself?" he muttered, raising an eyebrow and glancing at the back of the girl I had just unleashed my fury upon.

Letting out a sigh and wrapping my arms around my waist, I nodded.

"Yeah, I can handle myself."

Yuko looked at me for a second longer, hesitating before saying, "What you did back there for Emily— she's lucky to have a friend like you."

Blinking in surprise, I couldn't help the smile that stretched across my lips.

"It's nothing," I said, feeling almost giddy for some strange reason. It was as if I was almost...proud of receiving praise from him! Is this the effect these boys had on everyone? No wonder everyone wanted to please them. Yuko nodded stiffly, then checked his watch for the time.

"We'll see you around, Alex," Yuko said before turning to his sister. "Rei, let's go."

"See you around, Alex! You're pretty cool," Reiko chirped over her shoulder as Yuko walked away, shooting me a playful wink. With a wave, she turned around and hurried to catch up with her brother.

Guess it's time to leave, too.

Wordlessly, I began to walk back to my dorm. I winced when the back of my heels dug into my skin again, and was suddenly very aware of how badly my feet were aching.

Damn these beautiful heels, I cursed. Bending down, I carefully unbuckled them and held the pair in one hand. Slowly, I straightened up and took a step forward, only to bump into someone and fall onto my derrière.

"Goddamnit! Why do I keep bumping into people?" I cried, rubbing my sore butt. A light-hearted chuckle that resonated above me made me look up.

"It's not funny," I muttered and the stranger immediately sobered up, but the amused twinkle in his eyes remained.

"Here," he said, offering me a hand. Cautiously, I took his hand and allowed him to pull me up.

"Sorry," I muttered, straightening my dress.

"It's fine, I wasn't looking where I was going anyway," he answered, offering me a wolfish grin. At that, a reluctant smile graced my features.

"Well, I'd better get going now," I declared, and sidestepped him.

"Wait!"

A slow grin appeared on my face, and I looked over my shoulder. "Yeah?"

"Do you...do you want to hang out sometime? I can buy you a non-fat soy latte," he offered. Turning around to face him, I crossed my arms.

"Non-fat soy latte?" I asked incredulously, raising an eyebrow at him. A slight blush tinged his cheeks, and he awkwardly scratched the back of his head.

"Okay, maybe forget about the latte. But do you want to hang out sometime?" he asked, smiling hesitantly.

"Are you asking me out?" I asked, smirking as the blush on his cheeks deepened.

"No! Wait, I mean, yes. Yes, I'm asking you out," he said, straightening his posture and offering me a handshake. "I'm Jake. Jake Lindon."

"I'm Alexandra Knight," I said, shaking his hand with a small smile.