Chapter Seven

Jack handed Max a water bottle. "How could this happen? Why?"

D.B., Dean Richards and Riley sat across from him. "We don't know exactly why, but we're working on it," D.B. said.

"He hired both Max and I to get-" He paused, catching himself. He still hadn't told Max who they were really after. "The suspect. Why would he try to hunt us down?"

"Your target is merely a distraction," Dean Richards said.

"But, for what"

"Like D.B. said, we're working on it.," Dean Richards said.

"What proof do you have that Alex is hunting us?" Max asked.

"We pulled this security file from the night your father was killed."

"Wait," Jack said, looking at Max. "Leave."

"I'm not a baby, Jack," Max said. "Play the file." Jack sighed and nodded, scooting closer to his brother.

Dean Richards nodded, pressing play. On screen was Charles Parker, their father. He had pulled up to a gas station and left his car to head inside. Once he left the shot, an unmarked black vehicle pulled up next to him. One man came out. Dean Richards paused and zoomed in on the video. Enhancing the image, Max felt his heart drop. Although the figure did his best to hide his face, the reflections revealed the true identity. Alex.

He was about to shut the laptop, but Max stopped him. "Wait. I want to keep watching."

"Max, that isn't necessary," D.B. said.

"No. I want to see what happens." The room fell silent. Dean Richards hesitantly hit play. The video continued. Alex attached something to the bottom of Charles' car. He quickly returned to his vehicle and disappeared off screen. Charles came back to his car. Jack immediately looked away, knowing what was coming. As soon as Charles opened the door, he collapsed. People standing at other pumps began running as more shots rang out. Charles fired back, but it was too late. One last shot was fired before the car ignited. Max flinched. Dean Richards slowly closed the laptop.

"We can continue this conversation later," Dean Richards declared. He and D.B. stood and left the room. Riley moved closer to the brothers.

"Max," Jack said, leveling with him. "Say something." Tears streamed down Max's eyes. "Come here," he said, pulling him close. Max silently cried into his arms as he held him. He looked at Riley and she smiled sadly.

"I'll go get some tissues," she said. She quietly left the room. Jack continued rocking back and forth, trying to offer some comfort to Max.

"It's okay," he said. "Let it out, let it all out."

"I'm sorry," Max said. "I'm sorry for not talking to you. I'm sorry-"

"Max-"

"No! Let me finish!" He pushed away from Jack, wiping his eyes. "I've wanted to talk to you for the longest time, but it always felt weird. Now, it-" he sniffled. "It hurts."

"I know it does. It's because you loved him. I felt the same way."

"Did you feel that way when Mom died?" Jack nodded. "Dad never talked about her."

Jack sighed. "She died when you were born. I was there. Dad was there." Jack was now crying too. "She held you in her arms and whispered 'I love you, Max.'"

"Was she an-"

Jack shook his head. "No, she wasn't. I don't think she knew Dad was either." Riley knocked on the door, walking in with tissues. "Thanks."