You're...not joking...?

Start from the beginning

The door to the library creaked as he opened it and walked to the table with the tall Winchester at it. 

"Hey, Sammy!  I was wondering -"

"God, Gabriel, what do you want?" He looked up on shock as the moose snapped.  "You are acting really nice, when you're defiantly not the type of person to be nice to me, and you're just...is this a joke or?  It's not very funny.  Leave me alone, jeez dude," Gabriel's face was pale and he felt terrible.  Sam thought it was a joke? 

"I...Sammy, it's not a joke...I was going to ask you to the dance...I -" he was cut off again when Sam stood up.

"Right, this has gone too far.  Mess with the queer kid?  You and your little prankster friends think this is fun?  You used to be my friend, Gabe.  I just...go away, and don't talk to me.  You won your fucking prank, I hate you," Sam glanced down at Gabriel's face and was caught off guard when he saw the blond's eyes filled with water and a few tears trailing down his face.  In his clenched palm there were two tickets to that Friday's dance, and there was a note attached to them.  He dropped them and swallowed, then quickly walked out of the library before Sam could process what he just witnessed.

Now Sam needed to figure out what the hell was going on.  Gabriel was going to ask him to the dance?  He couldn't have.  So the first thing Sam did was head to where he knew he could find Gabriel's friends: the local ice cream shop.  It was always swarmed with kids after school. 

He quickly found some of Gabriel's closest friends and pulled up a chair next to them.  They glanced at him suspiciously.

"How much are you giving Gabriel to do this?" He gave them bitchface #27, glaring at them.
"For what?" One of them asked. 

"To...to hang out with me and ask me to the dance!" He growled.  The four boys looked at one another in shock.

"He actually asked you?  Dude, you're Sam?" The second one asked.

"Y-yeah?" The third one let out a whistle.

"I'm not gay but I gotta say, can't blame him for being attracted to you.  He actually asked you?  We knew he was chasing a guy named Sam since freshman year and planning on asking him, but I didn't think he would go through with it?" He concluded. Sam's eyes were wide open at this point. 

"You're not pranking me?" His mouth was wide open. 

"Nope," the last boy piped up.  Horror crossed over Sam's face and he quickly left the shop. 

He was practically speed walking toward the Novak household at this point, almost on the verge of running.  He finally got there and pounded on the door, when Castiel answered he shoved him aside and walked in.

"Where's Gabe?" Sam turned on Cas.

"He came home only an hour ago.  I believe he would be in his room.  It's upst-" Sam didn't hear the rest as he was bounding up the stairs two at a time, a simple feat for someone with legs as long as his.  Walking past the many doors with the names of his siblings, he found the one labeled as Gabriel's and let out a deep breath.  Knock knock.

The door opened and Gabe's face appeared behind it.  He was shocked to see there were still tears running down his face.  The soft eyes and sad face quickly disappeared as he glared at the tall Winchester. 

"Gabe...I.."

"I don't want to hear it," Sam's Heart was beating faster than it really should have been and he was torn.  He was really hurt by the idea that it was a prank, so hurt that he finally blew it and yelled at Gabriel, only to find out it wasn't a prank. 

"No, I really need to-"

"I said I don't want to hear it!" Gabriel yelled and slammed the door. 

An hour.  That's how long Sam sat outside Gabriel's door, hoping for him to come out and talk to him.  He didn't.  Finally Dean called to ask where the hell he was and Sam had to head home, still feeling broken. 

Gabriel wasn't in school the next day.

Or the next.

Or the next. 

He didn't show up to the dance, even.  Sam was hurting even more than he thought possible.  If he didn't yell at Gabe that day they would be at the dance together.  But they weren't.  That Friday night they both sat in their bedrooms thinking of what they did wrong. 

It was now Saturday and Sam realized that all he really needed to do was explain to Gabriel and say he was sorry.  He walked out of his house and quickly over to the Novak home.   Again, Cas answered the door.  Again Sam bounded up the stairs.  Again he knocked.  Again Gabriel answered. 

"Gabriel - don't you dare close that door," he said, putting his foot in the way.  Gabe stared up at him, frowning. 

"What do you want, Winchester?"

"I came to apologize, for one.  I shouldn't have accused you of pranking me," Sam said.  Gabriel swallowed past a lump in his throat. 

"Two, I came to say I really wish we could have gone to the dance together," he looked at Gabriel with sincere eyes. 

"And three...would you be my boyfriend?" He asked hopefully.  The frown on Gabriel's face started to disappear and slowly a grin reappeared. 

"Sammoose that's sweet of you," Gabe opened the door wider, standing to look up at his boyfriend.

"So...that's a yes?" Sam was shyly smiling now, glancing between Gabriel and the floor.

"Course it is, only problem is that I wanted to say those words to you."