"You're pretty sure?" I called after him, causing him to stop in his tracks, without turning around. "So you admit there's a possibility that there's another Ascendant in this place."

"My family wanted me gone," He whispered through his teeth, still not facing me. "Why would they leave a key for me to get out?"

"Well, you siphon magic, don't you?" I reminded him. "You don't have any of your own, not to mention you didn't even know the spell until recently. As far as your family knew, the Ascendant would've been useless to you anyway. It was never a threat to them. Maybe it was hidden here, as a precaution. For people like Bonnie and Damon."

He remained silent and I knew he was considering the possibility of this. It was too late to remind myself not to allow my hopes to get up in case there was no Ascendant here; they were already soaring.

Cautiously, Kai turned around and a smirk graced his lips. "We're going to Portland."

That wasn't quite what I had expected.

"Excuse me?" I narrowed my eyes at him. "Why would the Ascendant be there?"

"Because that's where my family lives," He replied in annoyance, as if this were so obvious. I suddenly recalled the newspaper article I'd read about Kai's murders, having taken place in Portland, Oregon.

"And you're sure that it's there?" I ask him, slowly.

He shrugs, waving his hand. "Like, ninety-nine percent."

"Wouldn't that be too obvious?" I point out, suspiciously.

Of course I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible, but I wasn't sure I was willing to go all the way to Portland with Kai when he could easily be lying to me. I didn't know why he would, but it was best to take precautions with a sociopath.

"Well, I'm positive my parents didn't just leave one on top of the dresser in their room," He rolled his eyes, sighing. "Of course, it's well hidden. We just have to find it."

"How do I know you won't just leave-"

I stopped, noticing he was holding his palm out towards me and whispering words inaudible to me.

Before I could act, my eyes were drooping and I felt myself sinking down into his arms, blackness quickly pulling me away from consciousness.

"I'd hardly call that being difficult," I scoff, swinging my legs over the seat to lean over center console.

"Well, you were asking too many questions with too little time to answer them," Kai replies simply.

I don't bother making a comment to this, propping my elbow up on the console and resting my chin in my palm.

We sit in silence for a while, but it isn't uncomfortable, at least not to me. Kai, on the other hand, allows his talkative nature to take over again and breaks it.

"Wanna play a game?" He suggests. "Road trips are so much better with games. Not that I ever got to play any, since my family would kind of just exclude me, but-"

"Is it too much to ask for you to stop talking every once in a while?" I cut him off, shooting him a look.

He sighs dramatically, throwing his head back. "God, you Virginians are so lacking in the fun department."

"We've been over this," I groan. "It's not so much the fact that I'm from Virginia, and more the fact that you're a sociopath who killed his own siblings."