Chapter 31: Decisions and Heartache

Start from the beginning

Henry revved the engine. “Now why would I tell you that? It would ruin the element of surprise.”

I groaned and slumped my face into the back of his striped shirt. He smelled damn good. I wondered what cologne he used. I would have to find out sometime before I left. “Why do you like surprises?” I muttered darkly, not expecting him to hear.

“Because you have the best facials when you find out,” Henry answered with a laugh before speeding away.

*      *      *

“We’re going bungee jumping?”

“Yep!”

“Are you crazy?”

“Now why would you think that?”

Henry had brought me to Queen Juliana Bridge in Willemstad (the capital of Curacao) where you could go bungee jumping off the bridge. There were a few others here and they all seemed excited. Meanwhile, I was unsure. Yes, I had gone super-large roller coasters in my life and everything, but … jumping off a bridge with a single cord stopping you from falling to your death in the ocean?

“I don’t know about this, Henry.” I felt kind of queasy.

He frowned when he realised that I was indeed unsure. “Hey, it’s going to be ok! I thought you like feeling the rush of adrenaline?”

I let out a sigh. “I do!”

“Well this is the same thing …” Henry paused and tilted my face to meet his with his index finger. “Do you trust me?”

Why the hell did he need to ask the question when he already knew the answer? I gave him a nod and he continued. “Then trust me pancake, you won’t fall.”

I know I felt childish asking this but I couldn’t help it. “Promise?”

“I promise,” Henry said seriously. He even put out his pinkie to show me he was serious. I smirked so I could stop myself from smiling and twined my own pinkie with his.

The instructor introduced himself to us and taught us how to harness ourselves, although I had the feeling that Henry didn’t like him very much. He then walked off to introduce himself to some other tourists but suddenly, I realised I had a dilemma. “I’m stuck,” I announced sheepishly.

As Henry was about to reach forward, the instructor was faster. I heard Henry growl from beside me and I fought back the urge to giggle. Was he … jealous?

He was still shooting daggers at the instructor and it reminded me of the time when he used to do that to Keith. Did it show that he cared for me? That he wanted no one else to be with me?

These thoughts made me want to reconsider my decision to leave but I firmly stuck to my decision. Henry would get over me soon, I was sure of it, but a teeny bit of my mind screamed that he would not because we had something special between us and that he could never forget that.

When the instructor finished helping me, he walked off to help some other people and answer their questions about the safety of the bungee jumping cord. “Finally,” I heard Henry mutter.

After watching a few people go first, I decided that I was ready to jump off a bridge with only a string holding me up. Henry laughed at that and asked if I wanted to go before him and or after. I ended up choosing the second option.

Henry stretched his arms and rolled his head as if he was stretching for a jog. I laughed. “You’re not running a marathon you know.”

I watched as he shrugged. “I know.”