Chapter One

Paige flips through the folder Doc had left them, her eyes dry and scratchy from lack of sleep and her unwillingness to even blink for fear she would miss the tiniest detail. The words etched on the hundreds of pages were like a drug to her; stimulating her senses, stealing her desire to sleep, and more or less ruining her life. Much of the medical jargon she barely understood. She'd never worked in a lab, and was nowhere near as smart as Doc had been. 

She also found herself unreasonably angry these days. She was so torn, because she'd gotten everything she'd prayed for once she realized she'd been bitten. She'd gotten her second chance with Bryson, but it had cost the entire human population the one and only vaccine to protect them from the Biters. She was angry at Doc for making her live with that realization. Most times she felt like the vaccine had been wasted, because her love and desperate desire for a second chance with Bryson were not nearly enough to risk dooming the entire world. But, of course, her blame was unwarranted. There was no way Doc could have known he'd be bitten during their escape from Lemuria. If only she'd been able and conscious, she'd have protected him.

Bryson ducked inside their tent where she was scanning the notes by the light of a lantern. He didn't seem at all surprised that she was still awake; this was how he usually found her after his lookout duty ended. He tried to act like he wasn't concerned about her, but it was obvious when she looked into his blue eyes. He thought she was going crazy.

"Did you read this?" She asks, jabbing her finger on the page. He glanced warily at it, as if she ever set the folder down long enough for anyone else to get a glimpse of it.

"What's it say?" He brushed a quick kiss on the top of her head, careful not to bump the bandage on her shoulder--the only proof that Doc's vaccine worked--as he settled onto the sleeping bag with her. The two of them had reached a new level of intimacy after finally reuniting. Their separation had only solidified their realization that they couldn't live without each other.

"Doc didn't just write about his discoveries in the lab. He also took notes about what was happening outside the walls of Lemuria."

Bryson scrunched his brows. "I thought you said he never left?"

"He didn't," She confirmed. "But he talked to people through his radio, like Dr. Nelson. Did you ever wonder why he'd said to go to New Denver?"

"Of course."

"It says here that before the infection spread too far they were able to quarantine and secure a small section of Denver. They ended up calling it New Denver to let survivors know that part of the city was still alive and safe."

"That's actually pretty smart," Bryson says, intrigued. He turned his face towards her, and after catching a glimpse of his lips, she found herself distracted from the folder, if only for a second. She studied him, like she'd done a thousand times since they'd reunited. Usually when she studied him, he was asleep. She liked the way his features seemed to soften when he drifted off, the way his dark eyelashes brushed his cheekbones.

Sensing her interest, he wasted no time pressing his lips to hers. The kiss was too brief for her liking. After a short moment, heavy footsteps pounded across camp. They both jumped to their feet, knowing that the only reason Zach would leave his lookout post would be if something bad was happening.

Bryson was out of the tent before she could blink her eyes, and she brandished her gun, wincing when the motion stung her shoulder. She couldn't shoot very well one handed, so the pain was necessary.

Zach's eyes were wide, and his cheeks were flushed from the short run. 

"There's a woman approaching our camp."

"Is she alone?"

"I think so."

Bryson turned towards her, eyes pleading. "Stay hidden, please?"

"Not a chance." 

He sighed in frustration. "You're hurt. If there's a fight, you'll get in the way."

"I was bitten, not shot!" She argued, crossing her arms. She forced herself not to let her expression show just how much getting a chunk of your shoulder bitten off could hurt. 

"Bryson, we really don't have time for this." Zach interjected, glancing at Paige. The two of them had bonded considerably during their time in Lemuria. She sent a quick thank you nod his way.

"Fine. But grab the folder in case we need to make a run for it."

No sooner had she entered the tent and quickly scooped up the folder and its priceless contents did she hear Zach yell for their unwanted visitor to put their hands up. What happened next was really surprising. Bryson laughed.

"Jess? What are you doing here?"

She emerged to see him wrap a slim, dark-haired woman in a brief hug, then grip her by her shoulders so he could look her over. 

"I've been looking everywhere for you!" She replied, smiling brightly at him. She glanced past him, spotting Paige. Something about her expression made her smile drop. "And you, too, Paige." She added, almost as an afterthought. 

"Paige, Zach, this is my friend Jess. She helped me get back to Lemuria to get you guys."

"I remember." Paige says curtly. She'd only seen Jess one time, when she'd smuggled guns for her and Zach and passed on the message that Bryson was on his way. She hadn't known her name until now, or realized just how good of friends they were.

"Right," Jess says, turning back to Bryson. "Listen, I'm not here to exchange pleasantries. I'm here to give you a warning. Victor Waldorf is assembling a team of people to come find you. There are rumors... they think you have a cure." It was then that Paige realized Jess' eyes had slid back to her, or more specifically, her shoulder. The bite mark itself wasn't visible, but the bandage was. Bryson moved protectively closer to her, putting himself between the two women.  "Is it true?" She asked in disbelief. 

"No. Not yet, at least." Paige moved around Bryson. "Tell them we have the formula for a vaccine, but no way to manufacture it. It's imperative that we get this folder into the right hands."

Jess shook her head vigorously. "I'm not telling them anything. You should have seen them. They're on a witch hunt. They're scared and angry that their home is gone, and they won't stop until they feel safe again. And they're convinced you have a cure."

"We need to move faster than planned, then." Zach grumbles. "

"You should come with us," Bryson offers. "We'll need all the help we can get."

Jess eyes slide back to Paige's bandaged shoulder, and a glimmer of hope flashes through them. 

"Okay," She smiles slyly. "I've always wanted to save the world."