Untitled Part 18

Soft warmth surrounds Paige, and for a moment she wondered if this is what dying felt like. If it was, it was actually kind of nice. She'd always heard dying was peaceful, but this was not at all what she'd expected.

A noise nearby catches her attention as slowly, her senses return. A soft sigh next to her ear. A hand brushing the hair out of her face. The steady beat of her own heart. Slowly, she opens one eye, peering up at a stark white ceiling. When the light no longer burns, she blinks both eyes, taking in the room around her. She sat nestled in a large, king sized bed with fresh white linens. A dresser is pushed up against the far wall, with a TV situated on top. Tacky green carpet covers the floors. It reminded her of a motel room.

"Bryson..." The words are barely a whisper, scratching hoarsely against Paige's throat. Her shoulder burned intensely, and with the pain came memories. She'd been bitten. He's there in an instant, and she realized he'd been next to her the whole time, only now he was sitting up. They'd shared a bed together?

"What have you done?" She asks, trying not to cry. Why was she still here? "You have to end it. Kill me now. I can't be one of them." Panic was threatening to choke her; the only thing she feared more than dying was becoming a roamer. Who knew how much time she had left? She could turn any moment, and when she did, she'd want to hurt him. He couldn't let that happen.

"Shh, its okay." Bryson's face is serene as he watches her, his eyes far too happy for their situation.

"Don't you understand?" She nearly shouts, more aggravated than ever. Didn't he care she was turning before his very eyes? Now was not the time to be stubborn.

He cups her face in his hands, forcing her to look him in the eye. "Paige, listen to me. You're not going to turn."

She's stunned into silence. He was in denial- delusional. Or maybe he had a death wish.

She takes his hand gently, willing him to understand. "I was bitten."

"I know." His eyes sparkle with wonder. "But that was four days ago. If you were going to turn, you would have by now. Look, you're not even sick."

Four days ago? She double checks her body, and besides her aching shoulder she feels... fine. Good, actually.

"What the hell? How is that possible?"

Bryson motions to a stack of papers lying on the nightstand next to her.

"Doc created a vaccine. Can you believe it? He injected you right after you were bitten, before the virus could set in. It worked."

"Oh my god," She claps in excitement, "he did it!"

The two hug, tears of happiness finally breaking through. This was incredible! This vaccine changed everything. Not just for them, but the rest of the survivors, too.

"Where is he? He needs to tell me everything. He needs to make more!"

Bryson is quiet a moment. "Doc was bitten. He didn't make it out of Lemuria. I'm sorry... I know he was your friend."

Doc was dead? No, that couldn't be... That meant...

"What about the vaccine?" Please, please let there be more...

"He used the only dose on you."

She drops her head into her hands in despair. He'd saved her life with that vaccine, which had cost him his. And along with Doc had died the only real chance they had at figuring this virus out, on defending themselves against the roamers. Between the two of them, he'd been more valuable.

"But we have his notes. Before he died he gave them to me, told me to keep them safe."

She snatches the envelope, shuffling through the papers inside. Half of what Doc had in there was way beyond her comprehension. She was only a nurse; she knew nothing about manufacturing vaccines. Only distributing them.

"These are useless."

"No, not useless." Bryson corrects. "Read the last page."

Flipping to the last page, scribbled in Doc's signature messing handwriting, was a name.

"Doctor Nelson? What good does that do us?"

"He also told me an address. Apparently he and Doctor Nelson had been communicating on the emergency broadcast for several months now." Bryson responds, determination hardening his eyes. "Looks like the three of us are heading to New Denver."