Chapter 13

Bryson and Travis help themselves to the abundance of art supplies laying around as Jess sleeps in the next room. Travis puts the finishing touches on his work, leaning back so Bryson could get a full view of what he'd just drawn. He studied the detailed sketch of Lemuria, wondering how long Travis had been there to memorize the base like this. 

The map showed the fences, the lookout posts, the residential areas, the armory, the clinic, and every guarded entrance into the base. The houses, which Travis had drawn as little squares, even had names above them of the residents, one in particular stirred up feelings of rage within him: Victor Waldorf.

"They don't have enough men to fill every lookout post," Travis says, pointing to the ones he'd drawn. "Victor likes to keep most of the men watching the front and the east end, where they get the most roamer activity. There's a town in each direction." He clarifies.

Bryson nods along, waiting to hear the plan. He was desperate to get back to his family. Victor might have tricked him and sent him out here to die, and he'd be damned if he let him harm Zach or Paige. He only hoped it wasn't too late. It had been months since he'd seen them. The thought stirred up a sadness inside him like he'd never known before. He missed a certain set of onyx eyes.

"On the south end, there's only a lookout posted about every five miles. If there's nobody posted here," He marks a spot on the map, "I know of a weak spot in the fence we could sneak through. We'd have to move under the cover of darkness, but if luck is on our side, it's possible."

"You knew about a weak spot in the fence and didn't say anything?"

Travis nods, not looking at all apologetic.

"That's right. I wanted a way out in case something bad ever happened. I always had a bad feeling about Victor. Looks like it was a good call keeping it a secret." Bryson couldn't disagree with that one.

"So what do we do if there is someone posted there?"

"Kill them."

Bryson wished it didn't have to be like that. So much bloodshed surrounded them that sometimes, he felt as if he were drowning in it.

Once you get to Colorado you'll never have to deal with people again. Except the ones that matter.

He just had to keep his eyes on the prize.

"When can we leave?"

"Tonight, if you want. It'll take about a day and a half to walk back to Lemuria, and then we'll have to wait for nightfall and sneak around back."

Knowing that there was a possibility he could see Paige within the next few days sent his heart racing.

"Okay, tonight it is."

"What is it you all are yapping about? And give me these."

They both jump as Jess appears beside them, snatching her sketch kit back.

She glares at them, returning the art supplies back to their spots before turning on them with her hands on her hips.

"Well?" She prompts when the two men stare at her, not sure what to say.

"It's nothing. Just a game plan we're trying to make." Travis says, uneasy. It had been nice of Jess to let them stay at her place for the time being, but was she really trustworthy? They didn't know her, and vice versa. Before yesterday, they were complete strangers.

She glances at the map, before Travis slowly folds it up, handing it to Bryson.

"That's Fort Sierra, isn't it? Where you guys came from?"

"That's right." Bryson says.

"What are you planning? Are you going to break in?"

Well, she wasn't dumb, that's for sure. Travis sighs, relenting.

"Yeah. What's it to you?"

She shrugs, walking leisurely around them. "What are you breaking in for? Supplies?"

"I'm going to go in and get my family and then leave. I'm not welcome there anymore."

She stops abruptly. "What if you don't have to break in?" 

He looks at her questioningly.

"I could go in and get them. Or give them a message."

Bryson perks up at her suggestion. If she really would do that, it would save a lot of time and energy on his part, and it would be a lot safer. He and Travis wouldn't have to risk their lives trying to breach the fences. But he had one one reservation:

"You'd do that for me? Why?"

"I don't know. You seem like nice people. And what you said... That my life was lonely... well you were kind of right." She glances around the small apartment, a sad look on her face. "I think it's time I moved on. I want to see if anyone I knew made it out."

"You think some of your friends could have made it to the base?"

"I don't see why not. I think it's a good place to start, you know? Maybe I can even talk some of the residents into leaving with me."

"If you're sure," Bryson says, "We leave tonight." A small spark of excitement grows inside him at the finality of his words. If everything went as planned, he'd be seeing not only his brother, but Paige, in less than forty-eight hours.

"It will take about a day and a half to walk back to Lemuria. You sure you're up for this?"

Jess nods, determination set in her features. "I'll go pack my bag. Then we can leave."

Waiting to leave was perhaps one of the hardest things Bryson had ever had to endure. As he fidgeted, all he wanted to do was go immediately, to run to Lemuria. He couldn't get the image of Paige wrapped in his arms out of his mind, the shape of her soft lips or those big brown eyes that had captured his heart, branding themselves into his every thought. Missing Paige was like missing a piece of himself. A side of him he hadn't seen in months. The side only she could bring out in him. She was the sun, and without her, he was doomed to the shadows.

He's momentarily distracted by what Travis had told them while trapped in the elevator, about the pastor from Lemuria who could perform the wedding ceremony for him and Paige.

If things were different, he'd make her his wife without a second thought. But maybe such things weren't realistic in a world like this one. His hand brushes against his pocket, the small velvet box hidden beneath layers of clothing barely noticeable there.