Chapter 1

As I walk up the steps to the stage, my mind races. I haven't told any one my plan. The man up front holds out a knife an i take it. The blade stings my hand and the blood, my blood, drips out, onto the carpet. My hand is shaking, as i hold it out over the coals for the Dauntless faction.

The room erupts into whispers. Why wouldn't it?

The son of Marcus Eaton is going into Dauntless?

Yeah, that's right, my name is Tobias, Tobias Eaton.

I walk with my head held high to where the Dauntless are standing, I feel my father's eyes piercing my back, but I do not turn around.

After the last name is called they let the new initiates leave first. I look at the other Dauntless initiates and notice that I am the only Abnegation, no surprise there. I try to avoid my father's eyes, for I know the hate that would be there in them.

But the temptation is to great, I steal a glance at my father, the man who was the monster in my life ever since my mother left, he wasn't looking at me. But as if he could feel my gaze his head jerked up and in his eyes, I see pure hate.

'You will pick Abnegation,' His voice unwilling came into my head.

'I will father,' the lie had come out without me even having to try.

The Dauntless are the first ones out, thankfully. When suddenly everyone starts running.

We are going toward the stairs, everyone is yelling and laughing.

I sprint down the stairs and burst through the exit, following whoever is in front of me.

We race through the streets, dodging people, vehicles and buildings.

I feel alive.

My lungs begin to burn, Abnegation discourages anything for my own enjoyment, my father enforced those rules especially hard on me.

Then I hear the sound of the train horn. I smile, this is freedom.

"We have to jump onto that?" A Candor girl asks, breathless.

"Of coarse! Are you stupid?" An Erudite boy says matter-of-factly. He has the longest black hair that I have ever seen. Abnegation makes us boys keep our hair short. His eyes were piercing and they made the Candor girl shrink back.

I try to think of something witty to say to him, he was really rude, but when I look around I see that the train is already moving by and all the Dauntless born initiates were already on it.

The Erudite boy pushes ahead of everyone and tries to jump on the train first. He stumbles and is almost thrown out of the car, but someone reached out and pulled him in.

'It's now or never,' I say to myself, I start to jog faster and the others match my pace, they don't want to be beaten by a selfless Abnegation boy.

I measure the distance and time in my head. And... Throw myself sideways.

I roll into the train car and smile, besides a few almost bruises I'm fine.

A Dauntless boy helps me up and I thank him. I turn back toward the door and help in another transfer.

It's that Candor girl.

Her long red hair is whipping across her face and when she smiled at me her blue/green eyes brighten up so bright.

"Thanks!" She yells over the sound of the wind, I nod at her.

I hear a shout.

An Erudite girl is trying to jump into the train compartment, and another girl is trying to grab her hand and bring her in.

"Come on, Christy, jump!" The girl in the train says.

Christy breaks into a last sprint and jumps toward the other girl's outstretched hand. She grabs it and they struggle. I start to reach out to grab them, but am to late. They both fly out, and tumble onto the ground, crying.

They are factionless now.

I turn around to find an empty seat. There is one, it's by that Candor girl.

I head over to it and sit down.

"My name's Valerie," she says.

"Tobias." I say.

She nods. I am glad that is all she does.

"Do you know where we are going?" She asks.

"Most likely Dauntless Headquarters, although if you know anyone who knows where that is, I would gladly take that information!" I joke.

She laughs.

We talk some more and before I know it, I have made a new friend and a Dauntless born initiate is standing up.

"Now, everyone, listen up!" He yells, he has a mischievous grin son his face and hair that is pointing up in a whole bunch of places, like he had just run his hand through his hair. "Now you have to jump off of the train and onto the building."

His grin widens.

"Don't fall off!" Another Dauntless girl shouts, which is rewarded with snickers.

I step forward to see the building, along with a few other initiates. The height makes my head spin.

"That's a 7 story building!" The Erudite boy shots.

"So?" The grinning Dauntless boy asks.

"What I we fall?"

"Your dead, stupid. So don't fall." And with that they are gone.

I look out and see all the Dauntless initiates standing on the roof, and some of the braver transfers are beginning to jump.

3...2...1... I run and jump onto the roof. When I land my legs are Jared and I fall on my side, my legs feel like jelly.

I follow the other initiates who are following the Dauntless to the other side of the roof.

"So, the transfers made it this far..." It's that grinning boy from the train. "My name is Zeke, and I'm guessing a few of you think your done... Well your not."

"What else do we have to do?" It's that Erudite boy, again. "We've already risked our lives! What is worse than that?"

"What's your name?" Zeke asks.

"Eric," he answers smugly.

"We'll than, Eric, to answer your question, you have to take a leap of faith- literally." He gestured behind himself.

'Oh no,' I thought, 'not MORE jumping!'

"So... Is there anything at the bottom to catch us?" Valerie asked nervously.

"Who knows? The transfers get the pleasure of going first..." Zeke says casually, as if he orders people to jump off of 7 story buildings without knowing what's at the bottom everyday.

Than without even willing myself, I start forward. Before I can stop my self, I'm at the ledge. I peer down.

'Holy mother of God, it's all black, I can't see anything!' My breathing picks up. 'I'm afraid of how heights! Why did I go first? Oh, I know, it's because I'm I'm stupid... Duh!'

Dauntless are crazy, and reckless but they aren't stupid. There WILL be something to catch me... Right?

Before I became to scared, I grimaced and...

JUMPED!

{#%<>%#}

A/N

Hey guys! Thanks for reading!!

Please, please, please, vote!

Also please comment! I really want to hear your feed back!

Thanks again!

-Arya