Chapter 11 (part 1/2)

At ten past eight, Christian received a Parchment stating that the Council had disgruntledly agreed to cancel the room arrangements.

"For now," Christian said. "Although father thinks the threat of the education system collapsing due to lack of funding is enough to prevent such schemes in the future."

"We showed them that we aren't just any idiots to be kicked around like a ball of snot," Maddox said and stretched his hands over his head.

Hurrahs and claps ensued, and Sawyer announced the strike successfully ended. People started scattering to their rooms past the Paras, who looked appalled.

"Sorry kiddos, no more luxuries for you," Maddox said. "Only honest, hard work. You know, the kind our forefathers did to build us this school."

"Why don't you shut up, you big black baboon?"

One of the Paras had come forward, a well-built boy of about fifteen. Maddox turned slowly around, his upper lip rising.

"What did you call me?"

"Baboon. BABOON!" the boy cried. "Feel happy about yourself? You've just helped bring the society several giant steps backwards and deprived us of decent living conditions. And by the way, those dreadlocks of yours are actually Para fashion -"

The boy froze in mid-sentence. Something red and glutinous flowed along his forehead and cheeks and dripped onto his nose and lips.

"Maddox!" Sawyer forced Maddox's staff down. "What the heck are you doing?"

The people around the boy gasped. His forehead bore the word "FILTH" as if cut there with a sharp blade. Maddox's chin was raised and his eyes were burning.

"Nobody calls me a black baboon. Nobody calls the son of the fifteenth Duke of Ross a baboon. Least of all a filthy Para!"

"For heaven's sake, remember what my uncle said!" Sawyer said. "No tiffs! Need help cleaning that?" he asked the boy, who felt his forehead with a bewildered expression. One of the girls started mopping the wound with her sleeve.

"No, you've done enough!" she said. "Just leave us alone!"

"Wow, you really showed him," Piper said as they walked away. "I'm not sure this is going to do you any good, though. The Paras could use this in their plight."

"Then let them," Maddox said. "No Para calls me names!" He stormed up the stairs, his dreadlocks swinging.

"You better go and speak to him," Sawyer said to Piper. "I'd come with you, but I have other things to do."

He left Piper shaking his head downstairs and climbed up to the sixth floor, where he crossed to the western wing along the narrow gallery. He turned left and tiptoed to the end of the corridor, hiding himself behind statues and curtains a few times when people opened their doors. Finally, he reached the end of the corridor and knocked on door number 42. After a few seconds, the lock clicked and the door opened a crack.

"Oh, it's you," Mia said. "What are you doing here? Boys aren't allowed in the girls' dormitory, you know."

"That rule has never been well obeyed," Sawyer said with a grin. "Can I come in? I brought your blanket back."

Mia eyed him apprehensively but opened the door wide. The room was very warm, and there were shawls and blankets everywhere: on the bed, spread out on the floor, and hanging lopsidedly from the backs of the chairs. Tall candle stands had been clumped in every corner, and the floor was full of open books, quills, and bags of peppermint sweets.