Chapter 6

Next day, Sawyer pinned down Bartholomew Wentworth-Templeton during their Algebra class and related the plan to him as briefly as possible. He had an underlying suspicion that Bartholomew might be appalled at such disobedience to the authorities, but he was wrong. Bartholomew's beady eyes lit up, and he raised his book to hide his face from Professor Tattlewell.

"Excellent plan, Sawyer. I can't tell you how shocked my family has been. And Fionnula has had to take herbal pills to be able to sleep even a wink!"

"Great," Sawyer said, trying to banish the image of Fionnula in her night attire. "I need your help in finding out who's eligible and who's not. Do you think we can make sure everyone we invite is trustworthy?"

"You know..." Bartholomew straightened his two quills on the desk. "I'm only the head of the Student Council, and my brother is a clerk at the Council archives where he has full access to a myriad of information, including how every Council member has voted in the past. What would we know?" He let out a squeak of laughter, which obviously was intended to be sarcastic.

"Okay, okay," Sawyer said. "But just as a precaution, I don't want anyone with liberal parents in, even if they swore they were conservative themselves. You never know."

Bartholomew agreed, and Sawyer leaned back to check his Squilli, which had just emitted a swish. Maddox had promised to recruit his Wrestling Group members, who, according to him, were 99,9% conservative, and Sawyer was expecting a list of names from him.

Sawyer,

I really don't know what to say to you any more. I can't believe how you're treating me! I've cried so much, but apparently, you have a heart of stone (and Katelyn agrees!). Besides, I'd think the situation of Kairos's mother would be too much of a shame for someone as discriminating as you, but I guess anyone with loose morals will get your attention. Well, I've given up on you, so don't ever come near me again or speak to me again! Have fun with your little tramp!

Don't have a nice day,

Prue

PS. I hate you!!!

Sawyer's mouth twisted, and he wrote a quick reply.

Don't contact me again. I have no time for drama queens.
You have been banned from my Squilli.

Sawyer

He deleted all Prue's messages and put her Squilli number on ban. Bartholomew's croaky whisper drew him away from the device, and they spent the second part of the double lesson creating a list of names to recruit. They operated under the strictest criteria and left out everybody they weren't absolutely sure of. Despite that, Bartholomew estimated that in the end, they had over 50% of the Aristomagi students on their list.

"Not enough, of course, but that's better than nothing," Sawyer said as they descended the stairs after the class. They parted at the Dining Hall door where Bartholomew hurried to Fionnula and Sawyer joined Maddox and Piper, who were bickering about something.

"Hey, what's going on?"

"Saw, look at this," Piper said. "I made it!"

He was holding a small, crocheted purse. Sawyer crinkled his nose and looked at Maddox, who was vehemently trying to force Piper's hand down.

"What are you making girl stuff for?" Sawyer asked. "You should be reading about the code."

"I already got all the coding books from the library, but what do you think of this?" Piper pushed Maddox's hand away and gave his finger a wave.