Of what?

I have never been in love and obviously, I don't know a single thing about crushes and love and relationships. It's a mystery to me.

Denial, denial, denial.

Ugh. So much for the heartfelt talk.

Jumping off the couch and onto my feet, I bounced up and down, trying to prove to him that I was feeling more alive than I ever have.

"I have no idea what you put in that porridge, or maybe it was the cak- whatever it's called, but I have never felt healthier. Now, let's go." I rushed out, pulling him up and practically dragging his ass towards his bike.

He laughed the whole way and picked up his phone, wallet and keys on our way out.

"One, it's cakwe. Two, are you sure?" The concern was back and it overlaid the teasing tone he sported.

Nodding, I started dragging him out the door, determined to get him to Carla. "I'm positive."

*-*-*-*

Adam didn't even get to cut off the engine before I jumped off the bike and ran into the building, eager to meet Carla again and see how she's doing. The woman is practically a second mother. The last time we met, she forced Preston to offer me some brownies they got from their family's bakery.

Although I was wary that he poisoned it, I loved the scowl he sported when he had to offer me something and I love Carla for it even more. She's an amazing woman and I hope that she's starting to get better.

I got to the administrations and stood there while the woman behind the counter talked into the phone squeezed between her ear and her shoulder while she typed something in. She was blonde with grey stormy eyes but when she looked up to greet me, there was nothing but kindness in them.

She looked to be in her mid-thirties and when she offered me a smile, laugh lines were carved in the edges of her eyes and mouth. I smiled back at her in an attempt to be nice. "Good morning, how may I help you?" My eyes dropped to her name tag that has 'Mira' engraved on it before I met her eyes again.

"Hello, Mira. I'm a friend of Carla Jones, do you mind directing me to where she is?" Mira offered me a soft smile and I knew she was going to turn me down.

"Sorry, sweetie. No visitors allowed except for family. Maybe you can-" she was cut off by a deep voice and a hand landed on my shoulder, squeezing it a bit. I leaned back discreetly, loving the familiar warmth of the embrace and my stomach tingled oddly.

"It's alright, she's with me. I'm Adam Jones, Carla's son." Mira's kind smile grew at the sight of Adam. Well then. I guess Adam has a charisma that charms even woman in their thirties. Doesn't she have a husband?

Oh look, the jealous Cassandra has appeared!

'You're going crazy, Case,'  I muttered to myself, appalled by my own mind.

"Oh, alright then. Just sign here," Mira took out a thick, hard covered book and pointed to where she wants Adam to sign, offering him a pen, "and your mother is in room 204. She moved into the room a night ago. It's in the left wing, 2nd floor and down the hall, to the right."

She offered both of us a smile before Adam took my hand in his and guided me through the hospital. I looked back only to see that Mira was still staring. I offered her a small smile and wave, silently imagining her head being bitten off by a sea monster in my head when I realize she was staring at Adam's ass.

Talk about perv.

I turned around as a shudder ran down my spine. What the hell did I just witness?