Chapter 3 - Empousai

At first I didn't recognise her, but Josh did ... I could tell by the horror and disgust plastered on his face. He backed off and she bared her teeth at him. That was it .. she was an Empousai. In case you don't know what that is,  she was a monster that looked like a vampire, but the thing totally ruined that image by her shaggy bronze donkey legs.

I narrowed my eyes at her and pulled out my sword, bow and arrow. You see my sword is enchanted so it looks like a golden pencil and my bow and arrow look like a bow and arrow shaped rubber but both of them have a little button, if you press it they return to their original size. My dad forged it for me especially; apparently, my life is very valuable to the gods and mortals alike.

I tossed my rubber to Josh, who press the button and he held my bow and arrow and was poised to fire within seconds. I activated my sword too and coldly said, ''ready to get vaporised?'' She snarled at me in response, no surprise there. She jumped my direction but Josh fired an arrow and it pierced her side, she yelled out in pain and I swung a huge arc around my head to get movement and I went for her side, luckily for her, she moved out of the way just in time. Hmm, I had to brush up on my speed.

She tried to go for Josh this time but I blocked her routes and this time I summoned the blessing of Mars. Yeah I have a gift or ability whatever you like to call it. When the gods used their power on me when I was still in my mother's (Venus') womb, they didn't realise that the power they used .... was actually being a little absorbed by me too.

I felt myself strengthen as my eyes shined blood red. She stumbled away from me and growled. Josh looked a little taken back too, but there was a smile creeping up on his lips. I plunged towards the she-demon and I cut her right in half, when my sword touched her it was like if she was made out of water because it went right through without any problem.

She exploded to nothing, and the smell of sulphur was clinging in the air and there was a yellow stain too. ''That wasn't that bad now was it?'' I turned to Josh who looked at me wide-eyed.

''Are you kidding? Let’s do it again'', he jumped up and down, I laughed and stretched out my hand and my bow and arrow flew into my hand. I deactivated both of my weapons and hid them again.

''Um how are we gonna clean that?'' Josh said pointing at the stain.

I shrugged, ''I got it.'' I stretched my arms and stared at the yellow remain, I felt a faint tugging on my guts and then the moisture from the air gathered around my palm, forming into a ball of water. I sent the water down and watched it as it wash away.

Once it was done, I threw the ball out of the window where it was absorbed by the ground. I sighed and looked around the class for any damage. Strange enough nothing was broken, just some chairs were out of place, but Josh put them back to their original positions. ''Ready?'' I asked when he had finished and he nodded.

Weirdly the instant we stepped through the door, the bell rang for 5th lesson. ''That was a good finish to our last lunch for this year'' I joked.

Josh laughed and said ''it sure was.''

We walked to class together and we sat together. Science was boring so I wasn't really paying much attention, ''hey when are you going to camp?'' I whispered when our teacher wasn't looking.

''Um, tomorrow morning, what about you?'' he answered.

I don't know why I paused to answer but I did, ''after l school''.

I was checking the time every 10 minutes, because I was excited to get to camp already. As soon as the bell rang, I stood up and packed up my things. I said bye to people and gave a few people hugs and stuff. ''I'll see you tomorrow then, stay out of trouble until then'' I smiled to Josh who reflected it and we hugged and then he bowed down to me again. ''Rise'', I smiled and with that, I made my way to the car park.

I didn't have to wait long when mum pulled up in front of me,  I jumped in quickly and said, ''hey mum, let's go''.

She rolled her eyes and said, ''nice to see you too''. I laughed and looked at her a little ashamed.

''Sorry mum, how was your day?'' I asked extra sweetly.

She nodded and said ''That's better'' and stepped on the gas.

We drove for about 12 minutes and then she pulled over and I sighed and looked at her deeply into her eyes and said, ''if you need anything mum, don't hesitate to call and I swear on the River Styx that I will come'', as I finished making my promise thunder rumbled in the sky sealing it.

''Thanks baby,'' she said as she hugged me tight and then she sighed and handed me my bag. We hugged again and she said, ''train hard, stay safe, and say hello to your friends and your mum and dad''.

I smiled and said ''sure I will''.

She released me and said ''now go, and don't forget to enjoy yourself". I grinned and took my bag and slung it over my back. I sighed and made my way to Camp True Blood, I paused just by the entrance and gave a final wave to my mum before sprinting in with a huge grin on my face. It felt really good, almost homely.