Chapter Nine | Cheesy Pickup Lines

Start from the beginning

"We can go to the bookstore or something after, you'll get your fun then," Kenny assured with a fond laugh.

We all trooped inside, laughing and bantering like the rowdy group of teens we were. We checked in at the front desk and harnessed up. After breezing through a quick lesson (thankfully we had prior experience with this company at school during the rock climbing unit in gym), we were allowed to roam free.

The first thing we did, was the rock wall. Of course we chose to hold competitions. We all took turns filming each other as we raced someone up the high wall.

"You're going down this time Wilson," I promised, glaring semi-playfully at James.

"Get ready to eat my dust again Watson!" he replied with confidence. His confidence was justified because by some miracle, he managed to beat every single person he went up against including me. That seriously rubbed my ego the wrong way.

So I demanded a rematch. By now he should be more tired since he'd raced the last three rounds. I had a better chance. I knew it.

Soraya laughed, sending me a wink. She walked up to me and pretended to fix up a strap on my harness. "I ship you two so hard even though you've only known each other for uhhh... just over a week. Remember, as always, denial is unhealthy for you!" she whispered as she pulled away and increased her volume, "Go kick James' skinny arse!"

I shook my head, sighing at Soraya. "I will never understand you," I informed her as I eyed out my path up the wall.

"That's the whole point! I'm a mystery!" she said proudly.

"That you are."

"You ready girls?" Kenny called over.

I glanced at Soraya, who nodded with determination. Kenny gave the countdown and then, we were off.

I leaped up, feeling the adrenaline kick in as I grabbed the rocks I thought would put me in a good position for the rest of the wall. I studiously ignored James and his taunting knowing that would slow me down. It was just me and the rocks before me.

I will beat James and have it documented to show the class! I vowed, repeating it over and over like a chant. I was a competitive person, I hated being beaten. I think that thought kept me going as we neared the top where the rocks grew sparse.

I hissed as I missed the rock above me, almost smashing my face into the wall. I swore loudly which elicited a round a laughter from beside me. I glared at the red rock and made the grab one more time. This time, I was successful. Heaving myself up, I used all my strength to propel myself into a hitting range of the bell.

Andddd... Winner!!!

I looked down at Soraya, who gestured at one of the instructors to come over and let me down. I took the opportunity to catch my breath and look at a stunned James. His hand was just reaching for the bell. I'd won, by a mere hair. So I did the most logical thing, I stuck out my tongue.

"And the reigning winner is defeated!" I sang loudly and off key. "Take that sucker!"

James merely flipped me the bird.

<<∞>>

"Are you still sore about losing to me?" I asked as we walked back home after rock climbing.

James was silent.

"James."

He still didn't respond.

"Jaaaaayyyy-mmmeeesss," I ground out in a whiney tone.

I began poking him. When I poked his side he twitched. Grinning evilly, I poked him a bit harder and he twitched again and bit back a smile.

"James! James! James!" I chanted while mercilessly poking his sides.

When we reached his front door I was poking him so hard that he collapsed onto the ground. I ran with my advantage and dug my fingers into his sides harder. James was laughing uncontrollably with tears flooding from his eyes.

"Dammit... Cee! I give... up! Surrender! You... win!" he conceded between laughs.

"Yeah?"

"Yes! Stop tickling... me!" he gasped.

"Who's the awesome rock climbing champ?"

"You! Jeez stop!"

I laughed at his misery, giving him one last tickle before rolling to a thud beside him. After all of today's exercise, that tickle-fest sucked the last dregs of my energy from my body. I released a long tired sigh and stretched leisurely, ignorant of the fact that I was lying down on James' front lawn.

"I hate you," he grumbled once he regained his breath.

I turned to face him, scooting away slightly when I saw just how close we were. I grinned goofily. "No you don't."

He sighed and cracked a soft smile, his gaze planted firmly on the blue sky. "No. No I don't at all."

The fluttering of my heart raised a frantic red flag and I wondered just how much trouble I was in. Well, I wasn't expecting this.

We lay there in a comfortable silence, staring up at the blinding sun for a few minutes.

"Hey James?" I asked.

"What?" he groaned, his voice flat.

"I won."

"Shut up Cee! Let me mope in peace."

"I got it on tape."

James refused to talk to me after that.

<<∞>>

Later that night, I was home alone. My dad was out with some of his friends, as was my mother. Unfortunately, I was working myself up because of stupid James. The internal warning sign had raised hell in me. It was too early for anything. I knew I tended to get attached to people very, very quickly due to my habit of denying myself close friendships and other relationships but this was far too fast.

My usual method of studying my ass off worked until about an hour ago. Desperate to get my mind off my dilemma and in need of advanced planning for my dad's birthday, I pulled out the phone number written in an inky black pen. I punched the number into my phone and waited for someone to pick up.

"Hello?"

"Ernie? Hi yeah, it's Celia."

"Hello Celia! How can I help you?"

"Have you called my dad yet?" I asked, curious because my dad had yet to tell me about Ernie contacting him, something he would definitely do.

"Oh, no I haven't. One of my friends up here just lost her daughter and we've all been busy helping her out," Ernie explained, his tone taking on a tinge of sadness.

"I'm sorry," I said automatically. "I hope everything works out."

"Thanks sweetie. Now, what is the purpose of this call?"

"Well, my dad's birthday is coming up and I was hoping you could surprise him by paying him a visit," I suggested.

"Would he mind?"

"I doubt it. He really misses you."

"In that case, what's the plan?"

"Right so, here's the deal..."

We stayed up late into the night as we arranged an outline of the plan.